Bella Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 22nd 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got into Rome at night and had really cheap, extremely delicious freshly made woodfired pizza for dinner! Apart from the crazy frenchman in the hostel it was great!

Day One: Ancient Rome day! and extreme sight seeing!

Walked around the outside of the Colleseum, harrased by men dressed up as legions for pictures/money, that was when they weren´t (a) talking on their mobile phones (not a very convincing ancient roman legion) or (b) smoking cigarretes. Lots of them were wearing stockings over their ultra hairy italian legs, hilarious! Not very ancient..not very Roman..

Also were harrased by Bangladeshi´s selling either Sunglasses, scarves, or mini camera tri-pods. Very bizzare..

We had to buy a ticket to see the Roman forum and it included entry to Palatine hill and the colleseum (Lonely Planet lied about this one!) Ruins were great, but didn´t really know what anything was cause there were no signs.. Slight downer on the day was the amount of annoying Americans reading out loud to each other from their guide books (and I mean out LOUD) and we also wittnessed a horse and cart accident. The horse was dead and the Italian authorities were trying to discreetly clear the road, but in the end they got a small crane and lifted the horse by it´s legs and dumped it onto the back of a truck. Very sad, lots of tourists around to wittness and quite a few little kiddies. 😞

We caught the metro to the Spanish steps and watched the sunset over the roof tops (Along with about a thousand other tourists!!) Then we walked through the streets to the trevi fountain where we met up with our friends, the thousand tourists! yay! Then from there we walked to the Pantheon, which was very impressive and free! We then walked back to the colleseum and met up with Danielle and her toddler Eamon and had dinner in her apartment!

Day 2: Catacombs day
We got lost on the way there, but once we got there it was great! Went underground in the catacombs of St Sebastian and also St Ciccilia. Alex was dissapointed because we didn´t see any bodies..just the holes in the wall where they used to be! The Ciccilia catacombs have 20km of tunnels and 500000 tombs! wow..
Alice tapped into her inner Italian mama and cooked amazing pasta for dinner.
Lucky Alex..

Day 3: Vatican day!
Went through the museum and the sistine chapel...very impressive..extremely crowded! Had planned to go into St Peters basillica but the line was incredibly long and it was raining and we had no umbrella. So we looked at it from the outside instead and ate our salami sandwhiches on the steps while being attacked by pigeons. Then we walked through the city looking at piazzas and fountains and old buildings. Because it was raining all the Bangladeshi´s were trying to sell us umbrella´s instead of camera tripods..
fun times!! Alice made amazing pasta again but we were still hungry so we went to visit our friend at the pizza shop...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb