The trip that led to Rome...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 29th 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, with some juggling of flights, we managed to secure return flights to Rome for a long weekend away. It could have been our last trip of th round-the-world tickets but the day before we went Al managed to secure a job and a quick trip back to Oz before he started. We decided to shrug off impending financial doom and the craziness of the next few weeks, and went to spend Euro's instead of pounds for a few days!

We stayed in a delightful new little bed and breakfast in the Roman suburbs, a short bus ride away from the centre of Rome and spent the next few days looking around. We started with the Colosseum which was completely packed, headed to the Roman Forum, before stopping for a quick pizza break (when in Rome...) We also managed to get in a visit to the Trevi Fountain, the beautiful Plaza Navona, the Pantheon and the Spanish Steps. There were quite a few gelatti stops between all these sites! Before retiring for the night we had a delicious meal of spaghetti amitriciana, veal saltimbocca (veal that 'jumps in your mouth') and the best creme caramel that has ever been eaten!
Somewhere in RomeSomewhere in RomeSomewhere in Rome

Lara and her balconies....


The following day we headed straight to the Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel. The line snaked the entire way around the outside of the building and once inside you wander through hundreds of magnificently decorated rooms filled with sculptures and artworks before finally taking you through the Sistine Chapel itself. A beautiful and opulent experience!

From the Sistine Chapel we headed back towards the Roman Forum, stopping in a cafe to watch the Formula One and eat some more pizza, walked along the river bank and watching the sunset. We had one more fabulous Italian meal before returning to our hotel ready for the trip back to the UK the next day. For Lara to head back to work and Al to fly to Australia and have some more holiday adventures!



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



20th December 2010
Ponte Prince Amedeo Savoia Aosta

cool!

Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 31; qc: 126; dbt: 0.121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb