Rome Day 2


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 15th 2008
Published: September 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast at this hotel (included in the room price) has had to be the worst with crappy cornetti’s and coffee so we didn’t hang around long.

A short 10-15 minute walk and we were at the Closseum. Wow what structure! We were approached by an (Aussie) tout selling guided tours (10E plus entry ticket 10E) to jump the queue which was already a 40 minute wait to buy a ticket. We will do that at some stage but not today as we had decided it was big red bus day to get a feel for Rome. As with the other cities it does the rounds of the monuments and areas of Rome.

To escape the midday heat we went in search of a nail bar that the receptionist had recommended. We had to be buzzed in and then of course had to convey what I’d like done. Luckily one of the girls there spoke a little English and I could have an appointment the next day. I had read the salon menu and had worked out what a refill would cost with and without colour. 50E I was told or 60E if I wanted polish…lucky me…my own special price…it was double their menu price and 4 times more than I pay at home. So I declined and we went in search of somewhere to eat and have lunch.

We did our usual and wandered the laneways off the main drag, well I call them laneways but they are cobblestone streets that generally have at least one row of parked cars, motorbikes and pedestrians. There are always a few cars parked on the tiny footpath and one right on the corner. I love the fact that the Italians seem to ignore most rules, especially road rules. When we were tripping around Tuscany with H we speed past a police car on the autostrade (freeway) way over the limit. I asked H how come everyone was overtaking the police car and they don’t book anyone, he said that’s just how it is as everyone speeds and the police aren’t interested. Other things they ignore are no smoking, generally there is always one person who does. Smoking is now banned throughout Europe in restaurants, etc, like oz. Drivers generally don’t stop for pedestrian crossings either. We learnt pretty early on to walk off the pavement into the traffic (sometimes with eyes closed!!! Hehehe) with no hesitation and they stop. These are just a few examples but generally speaking we have found Italians make up their own rules to suit themselves.

Anyway back to lunch. We came across a busy Trattoria on a corner, in the shade with a great breeze which is so important here as Rome is so hot (unusual for this time of year we have been told several times). Only two seats left next to 3 guys on the next table. The waiter asked us our names and then introduced us to the guys. They were from the Cech Republic and were on motorbikes for a short break. Nice to sit and chat and find out about their holiday so far and their country and likewise for them. For lunch we ate a tuna salad and the waiter talked us into a bottle of wine rather than half a litre, so lunch took about 3 hours, perfecto to miss the main heat of the day!

We sort out the next bus stop for the tour and back on the bus to take us across the city to where our hotel is located. That night we wandered around to find a place to eat for dinner finding a restaurant full of locals. We had pasta (just for a change!) and watched how the locals did dinner. The place looked like something out of the 70’s and with old fashioned service, even down to slicing the prosciutto on a machine for their antipasto and slicing veal steaks for their main course. I’ve noticed that the service always comes with a lot of noise, as in loud voices, the crashing and banging of cutlery and crockery whether we are ordering a café, lunch or dinner, not just for us but for all customers that come and go…great atmosphere…I love it!

With the nights entertainment and meal out of the way a short walk home around the corner and we were back at our hotel. We have other things to dodge here in this part of Italy apart from the taxi’s, buses, motorcycles, cars, pushbikes and now trams!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb