Florence to Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 14th 2004
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

FlorenceFlorenceFlorence

Uffizi Gallery.
This morning we went back into Firenze, where we had another look around. First, we all went to Leonardo Leather Works, for an insight into Florentine leather. Then I went for some morning tea with Bridget, Lauren, Gavin and Charl, before we all split up and went our separate ways.

I just went for a walk around the streets soaking up the Florentine life, before meeting up with everyone at the Piazza della Signoria, for the tour of Firenze. Our guide took us through the Uffizi Gallery, which was crammed with artists, and also had some street mimes there dressed as statues. Then we went onto 13th century Ponte Vecchio, the only bridge in Firenze that escaped unscathed during World War II. It is a bridge that is home to many exclusive jewellers, which is one of the reasons it is thought to have been left untouched.

From here we walked along a street, passing a bronze bear statue which if you rub his nose, you are destined to come back to Firenze. As I was impressed with this city, and definitely wanted to come back some time, I rubbed his nose.

From here we stopped at Piazza
FlorenceFlorenceFlorence

Ponte Vecchio, which crosses the Fiume Arno.
della Repubblica, where there was a band playing, and then back to Piazza del Duomo, where we took more photos of the Cathedral, the Baptistery, and Giotto's Tower.

After meeting up with the others, it was now time to leave Firenze, and travel on to Roma.

For this journey, Craig would have to don Raz's large bra, as his dare.It was a funny drive, with many lorry drivers giving funny looks as we passed them, and as we drove into Rome, many people looked in disbelief at what they were seeing!

We arrived at the Roma campsite, and were slightly disappointed with the facilities. Also, some of our cabins were cut off from the others, which meant we had a long walk away from everyone.

Once we had got straight, we were back out again and caught the Metro from La Giustiniana. After a couple of changes we arrived at Colosseo, home to the Colosseum. As we set foot outside the station, the Colosseum filled our sight. It was such an amazing sight, and was much bigger than I had thought it would've been.

From here, we walked along Via del Fori Imperiali, passing the
FlorenceFlorenceFlorence

Ponte Santa Trinita, from Ponte Vecchio.
Roman Forum, and then onto the Palazzo Venezia, the Fountain of Trevi, Chiesa di Santa Maria ad Martyres (the Pantheon), and the Piazza Navona.

We stopped here for dinner. We were advised to go to one of the ristorante's further back from the Piazza, as they were expensive there, so some went to one just off the Piazza, and a lot of the others went to another one, a street back. The food was lovely, and not expensive here.

Once we'd eaten we then made our way to Piazza di Spagna, which is home to the Spanish Steps. Then it was back home on the Metro, and back to the campsite for a night at the bar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Walking down Via Por Santa Maria.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Rub the bronze bear on the nose, and you will come back to Firenze.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Duomo, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Battistero San Giovanni (Baptistery), Piazza San Giovanni.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Campanile di Giotto (Giotto's Tower).
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Duomo, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Duomo, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Duomo, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Decorative paintings on the side of the housing, at Piazza Santa Croce.
RomeRome
Rome

The sight which greeted us at Colosseo station.
RomeRome
Rome

Roman Forum, Piazza del Campidoglio.
RomeRome
Rome

Roman Forum, Piazza del Campidoglio.
RomeRome
Rome

Palazzo Venezia.
RomeRome
Rome

Palazzo Venezia.
RomeRome
Rome

The Fountain of Trevi.
RomeRome
Rome

The Fountain of Trevi.
RomeRome
Rome

The Fountain of Trevi.
RomeRome
Rome

The Pantheon.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb