Lazy day villa hopping


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
February 27th 2008
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Despite the sign off for yesterday's blog, the drinking was very mellow. Lucy and I went with our friend Haley to a local wine bar, whih puts out a nice happy hour style spread from 6:30 to 10:30. I had a couple cuba libres while the girls had a glass of wine, and positively destroyed the buffet. It was a nice, comfortable,relaxed and artsy atmosphere. We'll definitely be back.

I think we woke up kind of lazy today, so we decided to head out and do some relaxing ruins exploring. We'd previously bought a week long pass to three local sites and had only been to one, so we planned to do the other two. First up was Villa Quentilli, an enormous property dating back to the first century AD and spanning the distance between the old main Roman road and the new (Appia Antica and Appia Nuova). It was in a bit of disrepair, but with numerous maps and guides it was possible to mentally recreate what would have been just an epic property, with a dramatic nymphaeum and fountain framing the opening, leading into an enormous garden, and finally to the main mansion itself. The mansion proper had three sets of public baths (hot, warm and cold) with the caldarium (hot) being simply enormous, with what appeared to be about a thirty foot ceiling.

After poking around for a bit, we decided to head out to the next, but due to lack of energy and inclement weather, we've ended up just sitting around eating a late lunch. Oh well, I guess a nice lazy day is fine every once in awhile. Tonight we're going out to see the new Italian classic "No Country for Old Men", made by the famed Italian Coen brothers. We hear that it captured many Italian oscars.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb