When in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 12th 2007
Published: November 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So weve been in Rome for two days.

Rome is magnificent, even most of the arpartments are dont up fairley nicely.

Saw the colleseum, it was meh. There so much cooler stuff to see. Though maby I didnt think much of the collosium because our tour guide was crap. BUT then we met a tour guide for the Roman Forum that was absolutley fantastic!!! And we found out that shes been listed on certian websites (she was also just finding this out) as THE best tourgide in Rome. Lucky us.

So we decided to tour with her Though the town last night (she was full of good stories), and then she took us through the Vatican (including St. Peters Basilica) and the Sisteen Chapel.

Some of her stores,

outside the partheon accros the street there used to be a brothel, so the pope declared (and put a plac on it) decreeing it was a house of evil... now it houses a McDonalds.

Many of the popes has things like Children and Syfalus (vow of chastity hmmm).

Lots of funny facts, like artits would put themselves into their paintings and the such, And michelangelo had a man make him paint over nudity, so in the sisteen chapel he put that man in hell in his painting, and hes fat with man boobs and theres a snake biting his crotch.........
Again in the sisteen chapel, Michalangelo had never been able to study a nacked woman so all his women looked muscly like men but with circular boobs ontop.

And so much more funny stuff, she was from Australia and had good witt.

We are at a laundromat right now, and tomorrow we check out, hit the Partheon and then goto Florence where we are planning on spending over a week touring Tuscany. Rome is so awesome, it has some gorgious fountains, and the paintings and scuplturs and structures are amazing (though we were glad we had guides for most of it). The hour line we waited to get into the Vatacan was the longest and it was sooo many people that I thought it would have taken way longer, we were like 6 street block away, and lined up 20min before the doors opened.

There are flocks of birds that fly around brom 4.40 untill 5:30 and there are thousands of them just above the trees, its pretty cool to watch them swarm from far away. Saw some stuff from BC time (some ruins and a recreation of a sculpture).

The blocks of the colloseum have holes all over them because they had lead attacking them (for earthquakes) but its all been pulled out and used, also all the marble from the collesium and roman forum were taken to build the St.Peters Bassilica, which is huge, and they built it to look smaller to make people feel better about themselves or something.

Cant think of anything else to say, though if anybody wants a scarf or a handbag (or wierdly a tripod) or a watch, nows the time to ask.

Cheers,
Ian

Advertisement



13th November 2007

Tripod?
Tripod? Umm, wtf? I'd settle for a postcard.

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb