Italy?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 18th 2007
Published: October 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

marina di massamarina di massamarina di massa

wierd seaside place mountains behind are where lots of Italian Marble comes from
Hi, Bonjourno!

Well, yet again I have lapsed in by updating of the blog - fortunately we have found a site with free wifi and have positioned Konny within the "100 per cent signal" area. We can access the net from the comfort of the van with a glass of vino! (for a few nights at least!)

We have been in Italy nearly 3 weeks now and i still haven't made up my mind if I like it or not, it is certainly a country of extremes. We crossed over the border on Sept 29th and travelled through Savona, Rappallo, Marina di Massa, Vareggio and then to Pisa. We had a lovley 4 days in the Garfagnana region with Sam, Kerry and George, up in the mountains with scorpions, praying mantis, closed restaurants and a chilly swimming pool. Couldn't help but be impressed with the Tower at Pisa, it leans, yes it leans!!!! We also managed a mooch round Lucca and one of the local mountain towns. So cold at night!

We then moved on to Firenze, Florence - somewhere I have always wanted to go which didn't disappoint, see pics. Then after a few expensive nights at
casa mughettocasa mughettocasa mughetto

the beautiful villa we stayed in with Sam, kerry and Geaorge in the Garfagnana region up in the mountains where it was cold at night!
a campsite (campsites have been pricey here even out of season) we stumbled upon "Montalto di Castro" further down the coast, a deserted, ghost town, July/August seaside escape with lots of facilites for campers. We stayed for 3 nights free of charge with a lot of retired German campers. It was funny, we were the youngest on the site but the Germans lived it up - sunbathing by day, sing songing at night with a guitar! Very friendly, a great place to stay (I love out of season seaside towns and in Italy if its not July or August it s out of season!)

So we are off to Roma tomorrow and will post pics sooner rather than later making the most of the wifi. We are still undecided as to whether to cross by boat to Greece over the next few weeks or to head back towards Spain. Having the net to look at ferries etc will help with the decision I'm sure. We are all fine, we have been tuning the telly into BBC WoRLD every few days to catch up and when we were at the villa we overdosed on the soaps. We are SUFFERING with
SCORPIONYSCORPIONYSCORPIONY

eek! last seen on the wall before Sam closed the case she was packing to go home
the Italian Mozzies who have devoured us, bought some heavy duty repellant today but they are hardcore! They don't bother Tilly cos she has been treated with "tick off" which repells all nasties (I've been tempted to have a shot of it believe me!)

Hope all is well at home,
ciao for now,
Catherine, Ian, James and Tillyxxxxx












Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Tilly likes Rice Pudding!Tilly likes Rice Pudding!
Tilly likes Rice Pudding!

In Italy pugs are called "ILL CARLINO". All the old Italian men love Tilly.
Definately Leaning!Definately Leaning!
Definately Leaning!

funny to watch alll the people posing for photos.
FlorenceFlorence
Florence

Basillica of San Lorenzo. Every corner you walk around in Florence you find another beautiful building.
The Door of ParadiseThe Door of Paradise
The Door of Paradise

Lorenzo Ghiberti - Florence
bashed in firenzebashed in firenze
bashed in firenze

not many vw beetles or campers around at all, lots of ancient fiat 500's and a few new 500's.
DavidDavid
David

By Michaelangelo. Lots of nude statutes around in Florence, some pretty gruesome.
what is this?what is this?
what is this?

Musk rat? ugly otter? oversized rat? beaver with a ratty tail? Anyways he was nibbling roots on the side of the road when we went on a bike ride, not bothered at all.
retired german campers you rockretired german campers you rock
retired german campers you rock

our favourite "free site", right by the beach in Montalto di Castro.
for barbara!for barbara!
for barbara!

one of the few vw campers we have seen:( surprisingly we have seen more from Uk than from anywhere else.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb