Ciao Ciao Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 15th 2007
Published: September 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another day has come and gone and it's time to say ciao ciao to roma, but first... let me tell you what I did today...

First, we headed off to Circo Maximus... it's where they had the chariot races... Just a mound of dirt now... nothing too exciting... but we did get to see the backside of the Palatine Hill. Looks pretty cool... Then we tried looking for the "Mouth of Truth." It's this statue of the face where you're supposed to stick you hand into it and if you're not truthful, it will eat it up... we never found it.

So we walked to visited Vatican City and went into the museum and St. Peter's Basilica. For you non-catholic followers out there... vatican city is over-rated. I wasn't really into the art in the museum and the sistine chapel.... you kept walking and walking and walking.. until finally you see it.... and then there's no talking and no taking photographs... so you're like.. OK... move on... I mean it's really amazing in it's gradeur, but it's so crowded that you really don't have the time to appreciate it... plus it took forever and lots of winding and going up stairs and going down stairs... that by the time you get to it... you're like that's it??

St. Peter's Basilica was Ok as well... I really liked the pulpit and the tomb.... aside from that... it seemed too overly done. I thought Notre Dame was prettier. But all this may just be the non-catholic in me.

From there we trekked it to the Piazza Navona -- it's this really cool plaza where people and artist hang out. There's essentially 3 fountains and the whole piazza is shaped like a naval ship... except we were only able to see two of the fountains... one was being cleaned/under repair. foiled yet again...

After, we finally figured out where the Mouth of Truth was, we decided to be adventurous and try the bus. It got us closed enough, but we just missed it. The doors locked at 5, we got there just as they were locking up. No dice, didn't get in. So we have "glarey"pictures of the mouth. Worked for me though..

And that's my day in a nutshell... not as exciting as yesterday.... but done....

Tomorrow we're off to Florence and I'm unsure as to whether or not there may be any internet access... so this may be my last blog in awhile. So let me leave you with this...

Final thoughts on Rome.... Loved the colosseum and the Palatine Hill. Expect to do lots of walking (but don't do it in Chacos) because the Rome metro system is great, but stops are few and far between and none real close to a lot of the piazzas. Although, once you figure out the bus system... it could get you places... Trevi Fountain was cool, but very crowded... seeing it in evening might have been better. Staying at Anne's Place was cool... was nice to get away from city in the evenings. very quiet.... all in all... Rome was nice, but I can't say that I'd be rushing to get back here... although if provided the opportunity, I wouldn't pass it up either.

Let's see what Florence brings...

Ciao Ciao

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb