Sue Sick, Vatican Closed, Rome still cool.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 9th 2007
Published: September 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Set of Roman ColumnsSet of Roman ColumnsSet of Roman Columns

These are standing in one of the excavation sites that litter Rome. They're so grand, they give you a glimmer of an idea of how magnificent Rome must have been when these were all shiny and new.
Hello everybody.

Poor little Susie's sick. We forgot that she's not supposed to have any alcohol with the tablets she's been taking, but we had a few glasses of wine at the wine bar last night and now she's not feeling so good. Hopefully it doesn't last long. We had a bit of a look around today, but it was hard for Susie to walk too far because she's sick in the stomach and has a headache, so we just saw a few things and then called it a day unfortunately.ol though, a few of the old ruins that haven't been restored, and there's no public access to them. I really like that, because you do feel like you're looking at something special, and you get a sense of the fact that it's 2000 years old. Things like the Colosseum, even though they really are spectacular, and I really enjoyed them, lose a bit of their wonder because you're fighting throngs of tourists to get a view of what is essentially bricks and mortar that aren't distinguishable from what they should be. But still great.

We had it in our mind to go into the Vatican today, but we
More columnsMore columnsMore columns

These were even more impressive - the detail on the horizontal was incredible, especially considering how long it has survived.
didn't really think it through, and being a Sunday, there's no access to the museums or to St Peter's. I'm not even disappointed really. I've seen a lot of churches, but only went into 2, and hated every second of it. They are amazing buildings, but they're just unpleasant, and everybody inside them that's there for worship is distressed and mournful, it's just not something I enjoy. And they give me the creeps. It would have been good to see the ceiling, but I'm over it.

We're off to Sorrento tomorrow morning, so that should be good. Hopefully Susie can get better by then, because she's been really looking forward to it for a while now. We'll see

Hope everybody is well

Bye bye.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Susie & a buildingSusie & a building
Susie & a building

Oh, I have forgotten what this was...stupid me. The courtyard and stairs were designed by Michelangelo. There was a statue in a museum off to the left that was massive. The head was about twice the height of me alone. We couldn't find the entrance to the building though :-(
Mouth of TruthMouth of Truth
Mouth of Truth

Now you've seen it, you don't have to worry about visiting it ever again...It's boring.
Planet of the MonksPlanet of the Monks
Planet of the Monks

They're everywhere. Them and Nuns. You can't escape!
BaldieBaldie
Baldie

Hehe.


Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb