Colossal Coliseum


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 9th 2007
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Valentino's PillarsValentino's PillarsValentino's Pillars

The designer put these up for a party, right across from the Coliseum.
Today was another day spent at a more laid back pace. We started the day with a late lunch and then headed to the Metro to catch a train to the Coliseum. This might sound easy, but in fact it involves a walk of about two kilometres to the nearest Metro Station! The Metro is definitely not as comprehensive as some other major cities we have visited.

When we arrived at the Coliseum we were greeted by an English speaking person offering tours of the Coliseum. For an extra 10 Euro we got a brief audio tour and skipped the 45mins line up. We also bought a picture book ‘souvenir’ (one of only a few bought on the trip!) showing before and after overlays of some historical areas in Rome.

The tour was informative yet brief (40mins) and we were soon left to our own guises to explore the Coliseum. It is hard to imagine the whole arena covered in marble steps and Statues as it is now stripped back to bare bricks. The area was used as a Quarry during the dark ages and the marble is now used in most churches and large buildings. A reconstruction of part of the timber flooring has been erected to show how the floor of the Coliseum would have looked. In fact the word Area comes from the name of the floor area which was covered with sand to soak up the blood from slain animals and people.

After we walked through the Coliseum we headed to Ancient City of Rome, now a vast area of ruins. We walked up the old main street still covered in stone as it would have been in historic times. The ruins were of old temples, extravagant homes and Caesars Palace. It was a shame there is an entry fee to most areas, and the other ruins were not signed at all.

After the Ancient City we caught the Metro to another historic Piazza had a quick look around and then headed out to lunch. By that time the wog we had caught from the tour had kicked in and we needed a rest. We slept most of the afternoon listening to Italian TV - when the sound decided to work!

That night we headed back to Saint Marco’s for another pizza and dessert. The Italian’s make great white sauce pizza - we had one with smoked cheese, pumpkin, pancetta and parmesan - Bellissimo! For dessert we tried the chief’s special - dolce something, with the word dolce it had to be good - and it was. Pastry, custard cream and chocolate sauce - yummy! It was time for a stroll back to the hotel to work off the calories and go to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Coliseum 3Coliseum 3
Coliseum 3

Original iron supports.
Coliseum 4Coliseum 4
Coliseum 4

The section beneath the arena where the gladiators and animals were housed prior to the fights, which were held daily!
Coliseum 6Coliseum 6
Coliseum 6

Many Christians were slaughtered in the arena for their beliefs.
Coliseum 8Coliseum 8
Coliseum 8

Someone of importance sat here, as they could afford to have their seat engraved.
Coliseum 9Coliseum 9
Coliseum 9

Holding Rooms.
Coliseum 10Coliseum 10
Coliseum 10

Remember, the entire stadium would have been covered in marble, the seats sitting on the sloping roofs over the entrances.
Coliseum 11Coliseum 11
Coliseum 11

Last walk?
To Ancient Rome!To Ancient Rome!
To Ancient Rome!

It's not too crowded.
Freedom!Freedom!
Freedom!

I wonder how many of the Gladiators survived to walk outside?
Ancient Rome 2Ancient Rome 2
Ancient Rome 2

Up to the palace.


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb