Buon giorno!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
August 22nd 2007
Published: August 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buon giorno!

I hope I don't melt before I write this, because it is boiling here in Rome! It's only about 30-ish degrees, but feels much hotter cos of the humidity and the fact that I didn't bring any shorts! Kelly has finally arrived, though, so that is great! The other girls left for Sorrento this morning; I was sad to say goodbye, but we'll catch up at the airport in London before we go home, plus we has 6 hours to kill together at Singapore Airport.

Rome has been fabulous. There is so much to see and do here, with Roman ruins just popping up in the middle of a random street, and amazing churches on every corner. We've done just about all the sights so far, including the Colosseum (amazing- very surreal!) and the Pantheon. We threw coins in the Trevi Fountain (we had to throw a couple because the photos didn't always work the first time!), and yesterday we went to Vatican City. We got there really early and climbed the Dome, though 320 steps was nothing compared to 591 at the cathedral in Cologne! I know what you mean about it getting small and squishy, though, Lizzie- the higher you go the smaller the walls get (not good if anyone is suffering claustrophia) and then finally you get to a teensy-tiny winding staircase with not rails, just a rope hanging down the middle. The view from the top was pretty amazing though. The elevator took us right into St Peter's Basilica, which was just extraordinary. You were able to take photos, which was good, but you weren't allowed to actually pose for photos, cos that's considered disrespectful. That's kinda good though, cos there was a girl who had thrown herself against a wall underneath a giant crucifix and was pretending she was crucified- not exactly the best of taste. After the Basilica, we went to the Sistine Chapel, but it was mid-morning by then so the line was HUGE. It took us one and a half hours to get inside, and they have now made it so you can't go directly to the chapel; you are diverted through all these apartments and art exhibitions, etc, which were all lovely, but after standing in the sun for 1 1/2 hours, you do not want to be squished like sardines in a tiny room while people admire old vases. When we finally made it to the Chapel, we were so exhausted and hot and tired and gross that it wasn't as great as it should have been. Nevertheless, it was fabulous actually seeing the frescoes, but i might have to come back another time in winter without all the millions of other tourists so i can give it another shot!

Kelly and I have also been to see the Bridge of Angels, and we've visited heaps of souvenir shops in search of the tackiest souvenir we could find. Lizzie, let's just say, mission accomplished. Kel and I have also been doing an "Angels and Demons" tour of Rome, a bit sad and pathetic, I know, but it has been great fun! "Angels and Demons" is a book by Dan Brown, the guy who wrote "The da Vinci Code", and it is set in Rome (obviously). We've been to all the churches featured in it, and my favourite so far is the Fire Church (can't remember it's actual name).

Before Rome, the girls and I were in Venice for a few days, which i wasn't that excited about, but was actually really nice (and even though it was built on a cess pit, it didn't smell at all!). There wasn't that much sight-seeing to do except St Mark's Basilica (VERY impressive; the ceiling is decorated by mosaics which were incredibly intricate, and there was a design made entirely from jewels), the Bridge of Sigh, and the Grand Canal (we went up and down on a water bus, and then on a gondola- it was heaps of fun! Our gondola man went really fast!), so the rest of the time was spent poking around the tiny little streets and shopping for Venetian glass. My bags were so full that I had to post more stuff home- Mum, there's another 5kg box on it's way from Venice!

Today is our last day in Rome, and as Kel and I have exhausted most of the sights, we are going in search of Italian leather (there might be more boxes coming your way, Mum). then tomorrow we leave for Switzerland, where it is a very pleasant 25 degrees at the moment. I am very much looking forward to not having to roll up my jeans cos I'm so hot!

Hope everyone is goodly, and everyone uni-related has got their new contracts for next year. It was very exciting, they sent them adressed to "Dr ..." See you all soon, I can't believe how quickly this 6 weeks is going!

Ciao!
Luv, Rik

Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb