Day of the Duomo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 7th 2003
Published: July 7th 2003
Edit Blog Post

Quiet and calm Lucca seems a world away from Florence.
Ill go chronologically...
We spent sat afternoon in Lucca, playing on the wall, eating more fantastic gelato, and going to a villa with a great garden. Tania and i went back to the hostel early (7). She decieded to have a quiet night there, and Josh, the American we ate dinner with the night before, and i went seeking more pasta. We found more pasta and some meat, spliting a fresh tagliatelle with cream and fungi (yes, fungi, it is on almost everything, so i figured id try some). It was fantastic, exactly what i thought italian pasta should be. We also split veal marsala and carpaccio... yum. Then more gelato and wall walking.

In the morning Tania and I headed to Pisa to meet Lauren (her sister) and Rob (Lauren's boyfriend). The tower leans more than i expected. We headed to Viareggio for the beach. The beachs are all private, so we walked about 2 miles to a point where we could sneak into the water. Its not as clean as i expected, but it was great to swim!
For dinner we ate some thin crust pizza, well worth the 6 euro.

After a run in with a cranky conductor, which cost me 5 euros, we headed back to Pisa to sleep for 4 hours. We arrived in Florence at about 7am, aboust as late as you can get here and still get a hostel. Florence is expensive. Not even in the same way as paris and london, they are kinda shiesty about it. There are no student discounts on anything, and everything costs alot, even hostels and particurally museums.

Lots of stuff is closed monday, so today we hit the sculpture musuem, and the duomo (inside and the hike up, i wasnt that impressed inside, the walk up was cool cause we could see how it was being held together. We went to the doumo musuem too. As well we hit 2 other churchs, one with lots of tombs.

In Turin i had issues with the mummies, they creeped me out. Here i am not so comfrotable with the preserved saints... i hear the vatican is full of those, so well see how i do.

I left my voice somewhere in France, and am waiting for it to catch up with me. Lauren has anti itch stuff so i dont have to be concerned with the fact that the people at the pharmacy dont speak english. Dont let that scare you, i am quite happy and am ready for the next adventure.

I seem to have eaten more pork in the last 3 weeks than i have in the last 3 years. the pork is better here than the states and i am enjoying it.

ive been readiong all the emails i get and love them all, but never seem to have time to write you back as i watch the euros slide as i attempt to type on oddly laid out keyboards. thanks for writing though 😊 helps curb any homesickness...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb