Consider Rome Conquered


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
July 11th 2007
Published: July 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I really do believe we have seen more of Rome than most Romans ever have or ever will. We have walked all over this city and seen it from all sides. We never once took a bus or the metro in fact. Most people say that public transit in Rome is a joke, though we have friends here who seem to use it quite easily. It has been interesting to see sites all over the city where they are trying to build another metro line, but before they can do so, they need to do an archeological investigation which can take decades. It is nearly impossible to build an underground system in Rome because the entire city is sitting upon an ancient city (or several, really) that are much to important to be destroyed. (though what good the ruins are doing under the streets I'm not too sure of)

One of the highlights of our time in Rome has been catching up with our friend Brittany. We have gotten to see both her and her friend (our new friend!) Maddy each day since Sunday. We enjoyed the huge park Villa Borghese with them and Patrick, the little boy Brit is nannying for here, on Monday, did the Collesium with them on Tuesday, and attempted a movie today, but what we hoped for wasn't playing so we resorted to dinner and gelato (a daily occurence, at least- there are gelatto shops everywhere!). Our B & B ended up being in a really excellent location, quite close to the Trevi Fountain We got to enjoy its waters everyday passing by on the way to somewhere. That is one monument I don't think I could ever tire of- it really is a beautiful and interesting fountain, worthy of the thousands that flock to it day and night.

Rome has been wonderful, but our feet our tired (and dirty) and I think we are all deeply looking forward to the cruise, where we hope to find a little more relaxation. I'm not sure what the internet situation will be like on the ship, but I will write and post pictures as I can.

-Erica


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



13th July 2007

Utterly captivated..
Dear Erica, I am totally captivated by your narratives and pictures (thanks to the photographers and the more than willing subjects too) and am enjoying this amazing trip/adventure with you. Our love to everyone.
28th July 2007

Top 10
Sharon, sounds like your work of organizing travels has really hit the mark! How fortunate to spend so many days close to the Trevi Fountain. It makes my top 10 list along with the David, the Pieta, the Ponte Vecchio, and the Sistine Chapel. How I wish I had something less predicatable on the list......... would fields of Italian sunflowers all with their faces in the same direction count?

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb