Last week in Roma!!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
December 3rd 2006
Published: December 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Ecstasy of Saint TeresaThe Ecstasy of Saint TeresaThe Ecstasy of Saint Teresa

One of the most beautiful pieces of art that I have ever seen. This scultpure by Bernini is quintissentially Baroque.
I cannot believe that I leave in less than a week! Here is a picture gallery of my life in the past week or two. I have had a lot of friends visiting which has been fun. Now I have to start memorizing art and popes for my art/theology finals that I have next week! Then off to London and Ireland with brother Ben!!

God is so faithful. This trip has been more than a blessing and eye opening for this Kansan! This is probably my last entry until I get back to the US of A and put Ireland/London pictures up. Thanks to those of you who have actually looked at this! Look forward to seeing you soon!

Jonathan


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

BorrominiBorromini
Borromini

This is the ceiling in the church of Quattro Fontane by Boraminni, the bitter rival of Bernini in the Baroque.
Scavi Tour/CryptScavi Tour/Crypt
Scavi Tour/Crypt

We had a chance to go on a Sacvi tour underneath St. Peter's which was awesome. We ended on the other side of the tomb. This view is from the crypt of St. P's.
Scavi Tour/CryptScavi Tour/Crypt
Scavi Tour/Crypt

Just around the corner is the tomb of this holy man: John Paul II.
FriendsFriends
Friends

Kelly, Jessie and new Benedictine friends @ St. Paul outside the walls.
FriendsFriends
Friends

Kelly and I on the Paletine Hill. There is also the stranger on the left side of the picture...!
sunsetsunset
sunset

Beautiful view of the sunset from the foot of the Capitoline Hill.
FriendsFriends
Friends

Jessie and I in front of the Trevi Fountain which I learned in class yesterday still runs from an ancient aquaduct and built in the Baroque era (same as St. Peter's...basically late 1500's-early 1600's) I finally threw a coin in...so I guess I am destined to come back!
Millenium ChurchMillenium Church
Millenium Church

This is the inside of the Church dedicated for the Jubille Year in 2000. It was designed by an American and I love the clean lines and the feeling of mevement you get in the church.
Millenium ChurchMillenium Church
Millenium Church

The outside. It was built to be a ship plowing through the new Millenium. The symbolism inside is neat as well.
protest/strikeprotest/strike
protest/strike

Just another reason for Italians to not be efficient. This was a random strike we ran into. There was also a bus strike the next day!
FriendsFriends
Friends

Karen came for a visit! This is her and Jennifer in front of the twin churches in Piazza del Popolo.
Piazza NavonaPiazza Navona
Piazza Navona

There is a mini-carnival going on in Navona! I tried to throw the balls to knock down the tin cans but left one remaining!...must of been rigged!
Camo di FioriCamo di Fiori
Camo di Fiori

They have started to hang these Christmas lights with the work 'Alguri' which means something like 'best wishes'!
Stadio OlympicoStadio Olympico
Stadio Olympico

The stadium wasnt full for the game, but across the way the 'south' curve is ALWAYS sold out. This is where the crazy, hard-core fans are (also impossible to get tickets there).
Stadio OlympicoStadio Olympico
Stadio Olympico

Roma vs. Atalanta. GOAL ROMA!
Stadio OlympicoStadio Olympico
Stadio Olympico

This isolated group was the Atalanta fans. Notice that they had to make 2 rows of storm toopers/riot police to protect them. When Atalanta scored they ran over to the Roma fans and started taunting...fights ensued! Not to mention the fact that in the prior picture you can see flares being thrown...beer bottles too!
Stadio OlympicoStadio Olympico
Stadio Olympico

They also had cannons they shot off at random. Cannon + flares= smoke!


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb