Rugby in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
February 25th 2020
Published: January 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Never thought we'd do 'sports travel' but after several years of cheering on Scotland at Murrayfield we didn't renew our season ticket this year but decided to splash out on a trip instead to support the team on an away game, and Rome ticked other 'weekend away' boxes so despite the depressingly high flight costs (seriously) we just had to go for it.

As usual we took early flights and therefore by the time we got the train from the airport to the centre of town, found the hotel and got sorted we were a bit shattered, also unnerved to see the Covid19 outbreak up in Lombardy. So it was just a stroll around and found the Colosseum, a marker to say 'we're in Rome' and also in the late afternoon sun a pleasing moment. Not exactly one to enjoy alone but you don't go to Rome to be alone.

Next day and our only full day was match day. Filled up with hotel breakfast and had a long walk up to People's Square to hang out with the kilted Scotland fans, then went for some quality coffee and garden time in Villa Borghese. Only problem we could not find a toilet anywhere, it really threatened our day but in the end ended up using Burger King and it allowed for some quality banter. Found a quality deli for spot of lunch then walked up the road to the Stadio Olimpico. A nightmare getting in with confused directions and under the circumstances not impressed to have our handwash taken off us. Still good game, good affordable beer and fun in sun with both Scottish and Italian fans well mixed and in good cheer and by the middle of the first half the stadium was almost filled up.

Walked the long way back and stopped by for the best pizza restaurant we could find near our hotel then slightly exhausted flopped on our bed.

No rest for the wicked up early to get out and bus tour around the town to make the most of the sights but walked half of the route to ensure we got to see as much as possible, so much history and as always whilst things like Trevi Fountain are worth a look they are so crowded that it's often the quieter gems like Tiber Island that we genuinely enjoyed. Again walking around we chanced across a wonderful local friendly deli that we enjoyed in an obscure little park full of stones from a ruin. Then it was more bus touring and back to the airport, even the pizza and ice cream at the ariport passed muster.d

If view of what's going on it's unknown when we will next travel, Majorca booked for May but looks uncertain. Still if foreign travel is off the agenda for a bit it's the gaps that make one really appreciate going further afield.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb