All Roads Lead To Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 1st 2017
Published: October 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Including railroads. This saying refers to the vast Roman Empire of which Rome was the centre, with all roads (or Via’s as they were called in Roman times) leading to Rome. Even today, many of the Roads in Rome are prefixed by Via.



We left our Hotel Locanda Ca’ San Marcuola early yesterday morning, as we had to catch a Vaporetto to Venice Railway Station in time for our 9.00am Italo train to Rome. Venice is in North East Italy, Rome is in South West Italy, yet we had arrived at the Rome Terminus by 12:50pm, reaching speeds of over 300 kmh along the way. Despite it’s hyper speed, the train journey was very smooth and efficient.



After checking into our apartment, which is only a few blocks away from the Colosseum and Palatine Hill, we caught up with Liz and Darrol, and we walked around the ancient ruins in our immediate area of Rome. Almost every corner one turns in this city, there is another ancient building or monument coming into view.



This morning we headed out to meet up with our Tour Guide to take us through the Colosseum and Palatine Hill. Our Polish Guide led us straight up to Palatine Hill, where we were provided with an overview history lesson on Rome, both Pagan and Papal.



Palatine Hill is the centremost of the Seven Hills of Rome and is one of the most ancient parts of the city. It stands 40 metres above the Roman Forum, looking down upon it on one side, and upon the Circus Maximus, the famous Chariot Racing Circuit on the other. From the start of the Empire (27 BC) Augustus built his Palace there and the hill gradually became the exclusive domain of emperors. The ruins of the palaces of at least Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD), Tiberius (14 – 37 AD) and Domitian (81 – 96 AD) can still be seen. Augustus also built a temple to Apollo here. The great fire of 64 AD destroyed Nero's palace, but he replaced it by 69 AD with the even larger Palace, which was built over by Domitian.



We had a panorama view of the Roman Forum from Palatine Hill. For centuries the Forum was the center of day-to-day life in Rome and it has been called the most celebrated meeting place in the world, and in all history .



After exiting Palatine Hill, we headed for the Colosseum, which had queues snaking out into the surrounds for what seemed kilometres. Fortunately, our Tour Guide ticket came with “skip the line” status, and so we virtually had no wait to enter this huge Arena. The Colosseum is the largest amphitheatre ever built, with construction beginning under the emperor Vespasian in AD 72, and being completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir Titus.



The Colosseum could hold, it is estimated, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators. It was used for gladiatorial contests, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical Mythology. Our guide was able to dispel a good deal of myth about the Colosseum, with gladiators being more like MMA Fighters are today; professional sportsmen who regularly get injured, but rarely lose their lives. Near our apartments lies an excavation of a Gladiator School, where fighters were trained for at least two years before they entered the arena. Each Gladiator School specialised in a particular form of gladiatorial fighting, and they never fought against opponents of the same discipline. The thumbs up, thumbs down, from the Emperor as to whether the crowd wanted to kill the injured gladiator is also a myth, with the crowds rarely baying for their blood.



After leaving the Colosseum, we returned to our apartment for a break. After lunch, we met Liz and Darrol to go exploring the Roman Forum. Many of the oldest and most important structures of the ancient city of Rome were located on or near the Forum. The Roman Kingdom’s earliest shrines and temples were located on the southeastern edge. These included the ancient former royal residence, the Regia (8th century BC), the Temple of Vesta (7th century BC), as well as the surrounding complex of the Vestal Virgins, who remained as Vestal Virgins from an early age for a period of some thirty years. The Temple of Saturn stood in the forum along with four other Temples. It stood with the Temple of Concord, Temple of Vesta, Temple of Castor and the Temple of Pullox. At each Temple, animal sacrifices and rituals were carried out in full view of the crowds. Sounds a little like Dark Mofo in Hobart earlier this year; a celebration of the Winter Solstice. What is old is new again.



There are a number of Triumphal Arches and Columns in and around the Colosseum, celebrating Rome’s victories over it’s enemies. One of the more interesting arches we viewed was the Arch of Titus, constructed in circa AD. 82 by the Emperor Domitian shortly after the death of his older brother Titus to commemorate Titus's victories, including the Siege of Jerusalem in AD 70. The south panel depicts the spoils taken from the Temple of Jerusalem. The golden candelabrum or Menorah is the main focus and is carved in deep relief. Other sacred objects being carried in the triumphal procession are the Gold Trumpets, the fire pans for removing the ashes from the altar, and the Table of Shew Bread.



We had thought that the origins of Venice reached back into antiquity. Rome is on another level in terms of antiquity.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb