All roads


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Fiumicino
July 15th 2023
Published: July 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

And so it is that all roads eventually lead us back here and we must start listing off our ‘lasts’ as we head home. Last morning at the villa, last rally drive down the hill and last visit to a hilltop town…until next time!

An early start to pack and get everything sorted, especially the mountain of garbage and empty bottles!! Goodbyes to all our flat mates of the last week and we were off down the freeway to Orvieto, via our last coffee at the autogrill. Another parking arrangement with the marriage in tact and we were off up the hill to Orvieto. Another beautiful town with photo opportunities at every turn. However the highlight was undoubtedly the cathedral - absolutely stunning! I’m not normally a huge fan of religious buildings, but the pope who used to live here deserves credit - vibrant paintings on the front, intricately carved scenes framed by mosaics snaking up the facade. We could have enjoyed it for hours…save for the whinging.

So back down we headed and Geoff scored his porchetta roll he’d been fantasising about for days. Not bad. Next stop was Bagnoregio to try to visit Civita that we had missed all those years ago. Alas, it has proven to be elusive once again, for after the shuttle ride up, and consideration of the effort required to walk over the walkway in the sun, we entered it on top of next time’s list. Instead we enjoyed some cold drinks in the shade…and some very average sandwiches which are hopefully also on the ‘lasts’ list.

Made it to our BnB near the airport where we’re enjoying some time in the airconditioning before our last Italian dinner…until next time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb