Day 54: Maranello to Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Emilia-Romagna » Maranello
April 27th 2011
Published: May 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Before heading off to Venice I wanted to visit the Ferrari museum so after a couple of wrong turns we found it, with easy parking by the front gate and alongside the inevitable Ferrari shops. After a stroll through the shops seeing the outrageous prices it was off to the museum for a look see. This is a great place to visit if you are a car or F1 buff but if you are not then don’t bother, I loved it, they had actual F1 race cars on show from around 2001 onwards, only the championship winners unfortunately, cant have non winners on show can we. There are samples of engines dating back to 1985 and the turbo day’s right through to the 2010 v10. Also on display were numbers of older and very rare road cars, the Enzo of course and the new 599 race car, very nice. Leaving the museum my darling wife bought me a drive in a Ferrari 430 Scuderia race prepped car, it was magic, we took it out on the open road and the little Italian owner said ‘give it a go’, putting my foot down in fourth was not good enough and he said drop 2 gears into 2nd and put the foot hard to the floor, what a rush, 200kph in a couple of seconds from 50kph, absolutely amazing. The 20 minute time frame stretched into 30 and then sadly it was over, it is an experience I will never forget, thanks again Pam for making this happen. Upon leaving Maranello we noticed that it was not a very old town and it had the feel of a car town and I assume that many of the apartment buildings were built to house the staff at the car plant. Heading off on the Autostrada it was 200 kms to Venice and I drove the camper like it was the Ferrari for a while. Arriving at Fusina Camp ground around 5pm it was time for Pam to do some work and Bree and I to set up camp. The wind picked up and if fair howled all night so eventually I took the awning down for fear that it may blow away. Fusina is opposite Venice by about 5 miles across the sea and the easiest way for us to access it was via a ferry. Checking this option out was great, the ferry pickup was only 200m from the camp and a cost of 12e return was not too bad for the convenience. The camp ground is the usual 35e per night and has good facilities including bar, café, market and restaurant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb