Bologna


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Emilia-Romagna » Bologna
September 3rd 2015
Published: September 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

TortelliniTortelliniTortellini

Bologna speciality
Being an ancient city, Bologna is a bit underrated as a tourist destination, less than 2 hours from Florence, here you can feel the space, you can see local people live their life in their own way, walk their dog, cafe and restaurant not just crowd of tourists. There are many historic architecture around the old city, although most are not with exaggerate decorate like those in Florence, perhaps it was a plain answer to the Renaissance - simple is also good!And it does add an air of medieval tone for all the sight in Bologna, Beside the many great museum, the main sight in town sure is the Two Towers, it is the symbol of Bologna, stood right in the center, at the intersection of the roads that lead to 5 gates of the old city wall. Surrender 3 euro you could scale the stair up the top for a panoramic view of the city, or hike up the small hill on the south side of the city to the church of San Michele in Bosco, where you will find the sights of Bologna rolling out under your feet. The best way to start your exploring is from Piazza Maggiore, where you will find the San Petronio Basilica, the plain exterior had it reason, said the construction with the intent to outdo the Saint Peter's Basilica of Rome, and was ordered to stop by Pope Pius IV, so the main facade remains unfinished until today. And I was surprised to see the entrance was guard by armed police force, why? information said both in 2002 and 2006 there were terrorist attempt to blow up the Basilica, fortunately were thwarted by Italian police before it happen. Just because there is a a 15th-century fresco inside the church that painted by Giovanni da Modena, depicts Muhammad in Hell being devoured by demons. Inside the Piazza also has the Fountain of Neptune, also surrounded by the Palazzo del Podesta and Palazzo d'Accursio. If you walk up the Via dell'Indipendenza a bit you will find some hidden canal, then you will realized once in the old day Bologna is full of water canal as it was an important textile trading center. Cafe and restaurant scene held lively in this university city, together with 2 great market Mercato di Mezzo and Mercato Delle Erbe, you won't get starve! One of the unique scene in Bologna is the Portico, almost all the building has a Portico corridor, it is great gift to have when explore the city during the day in summer time, especially on the traditional pilgrim walk to the Sanctuary of the Madonna of San Luca on the small hill 5km outside of town, it was blessing all the way under the lovely portico uphill no matter sun or rain!


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb