Playing Catchup


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Emilia-Romagna » Bologna
June 22nd 2005
Published: June 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Tuscan Countryside Passing ByTuscan Countryside Passing ByTuscan Countryside Passing By

Eurostar Italia 2nd Class is actually very nice. Much better than Eurostar London-Paris. Much cheaper too.
You know that freezing cold shower I had to take last night? That, and packing resulted in me going to bed quite late. The result being that we kinda missed the bus this morning. That actually turned out to be something of a blessing, as I'll elaborate on a bit.

Gabi and I ended up heading into Venice central station, and taking a train to Rome. The local (read: slow) train to Bologna left Venice at 11:00 sharp. Ironically, the transfer in Bologna to Eurostar Italia was late 30 minutes. It did get us from Bologna to Rome in about 2 hours though. We got into Rome at 5:00pm with the delay. That's a 6 hour trip, for a total cost of 40 euros (it would have been about 15 if we had taken the slow train into Rome instead of Eurostar Italia, but the slow one would have gotten us into Rome at 9).

I needed to talk to the tour-gude on the bus to book an excursion though, so I headed to the campsite (which is actually quite a ways out of town) after checking at my hostel. The bus didn't get there until after 8pm. Everyone on board was about to keel over after a 12 hour bus ride (sometimes with 5 hours between rest stops). Everything's taken care of though, and I'm set to leave on an excursion to southern Italy on the 26th.

The hostel I'm staying at (Casa Olmata) isn't bad. It's 5 mins. from Rome Termini station, and has a decent view from the rooftop terrace. The rooms are clean, but only certain floors have hot water, and they change daily. Getting a lot of exercise walking up and down stairs (made trickier by being in a towel).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb