Last day in Campania


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
January 18th 2016
Published: January 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The day started with a beautiful sunrise: Praiano farewelling us in style. We ventured North west to Sorrento today and whilst waiting for the bus discovered another secret of the building trade -DONKEYS! fully laden with bricks they trotted down flights of stairs to a building site at the bottom of the cliff!

The road to Sorrento was much more gentle and the town very different. The views from the hills above showed a wonderful vista of the bay all the way from Sorrento, to Pompeii and Naples! Vesuvius was snow capped and thankfully inactive. Magnificent! Sorrento was bigger than we expected and in part more modern and ugly. However we discovered the old piazza and centre of the city, inside a huge fortified wall and were not disappointed with the old buildings, wonderful churches and amazing courtyards which served as entries to all apartments - very much like Venice.

The old centre is built at the top of enormous cliffs and there is a weird lower section directly underneath the main city that seems to divide it vertically - very hard to describe.

We shopped a little, visited a yummy cake patisserie then journeyed home accompanied by a bus load of teenagers travelling from school to the Amalfi Coast towns along the way home. This was at 1:30 pm- an early finish to the school day?


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

VesperVesper
Vesper

For sale - 1700 euro (any takers?)
RuinsRuins
Ruins

On the low level - another deserted mill?
Brilliant artworkBrilliant artwork
Brilliant artwork

So many cathedrals have these wonderful paintings on the ceiling
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Stunning
Homeward boundHomeward bound
Homeward bound

View from the bus window: we will be sad to leave such paradise
Anna's art shotAnna's art shot
Anna's art shot

More of the sunrise from our balcony


Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.04s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb