Odyssey 2023 - Lunch at the Douce, and some horseplay on Piazza Tasso


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
April 20th 2023
Published: April 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Lunch at La Maison DouceLunch at La Maison DouceLunch at La Maison Douce

Nello, the personable manager and head waiter, is quite adept at romancing the clientele!
The weather gods must be smiling down upon us (at last!), as we enjoyed yet another day of blue skies, sunshine and mild temperatures. We only hope the streak continues, as we're expecting two special guests (a couple from Satsuma, Florida) to arrive this coming Sunday for a 9-day visit. Since they are Floridians, their thermostats (like ours) are not accustomed to the chilly temperatures we have endured since our arrival in Sorrento almost three weeks ago.

Our first order of business today was to walk to the pharmacy, the same one we had visited to purchase some blood glucose test strips for me shortly after we had arrived. It is a customer-friendly environment here, and the pharmacist on-duty today was very helpful in suggesting an over-the-counter cough medication that Dee was seeking as a replacement for the one she brought along, but which is nearly empty now.

After finishing at the pharmacy, with our stomachs growling a bit, we walked to one of our favorite haunts for lunch, La Maison Douce. At last count, we've had lunch (and a couple dinners) at seven different restaurants since we arrived in Sorrento. Although we've yet to have a bad experience
Shrimp and calamariShrimp and calamariShrimp and calamari

La Maison Douce
at any of them, there are three that have risen to the top of our "Hit Parade", and La Maison Douce is one of them.

In a previous post I commented on the delicious food and the friendly ambience we have enjoyed at this little restaurant on the Corso Italia, not too far from the town's main square. Owing to the gorgeous weather today, the outdoor terrace was almost full when we arrived, but we were able to snag a table for two without waiting. As usual, we were greeted by the sparkling personality of the manager, Nello, who gives virtuoso performances to his customers (as well as to passersby whom he knows, or who know him). He was certainly at the top of his game today, chatting and cajoling with the diners around us!

Based upon Nello's recommendation, I ordered the shrimp and calamari plate, with a side order of boiled potatoes and spinach; Dee had a large salad bowl, to which she added some of the copious quantities of shrimp and calamari from my platter. We sipped on glasses of red wine, and munched on slices of the excellent bread, while waiting for our meals to
Exterior view, La Maison DouceExterior view, La Maison DouceExterior view, La Maison Douce

Corso Italia, Sorrento
arrive. (Note: Butter is not usually served in restaurants over here. Instead, each table has a bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar in which to dip or drench the bread, if so desired).

Sidebar: Some brief comments regarding our experiences with Italian menu offerings. A platter (or main dish) rarely, if ever, comes with a vegetable or other side, except perhaps for a lemon wedge or sprig of lettuce as garnish. A side order (listed as "contorno" on the menus) must be ordered separately, e.g., salad, potatoes, vegetable, etc., and come at additional cost. The side orders we have ordered so far, which typically run between $6-$8, have been very good: roasted tomatoes, breaded and fried zucchini, boiled potatoes with spinach.

After our very enjoyable lunch, we walked to the Piazza Tasso to check out the people action today. While sitting on a bench in front of Tasso's statue, we noticed a small horse and carriage (with two passengers) returning to a spot where it evidently parks between excursions. The poor little horse providing the "horsepower" for this contraption was the most docile animal imaginable, and seemed oblivious to the street noise and caterwauling of the people
Bread basketBread basketBread basket

La Maison Douce
walking by, some of whom would stop to pet the horse's head.

We felt even more sympathy for the horse when its owner (and driver) grabbed a feedbag from his wife, and then proceeded to stuff his face, while the poor creature doing all the heavy lifting got absolutely nothing, not even a drink of water!

On our way back to the apartment, we made a rest stop on a bench outside the cathedral, another ringside seat for people watching. Today many of them were slurping on cups or cones filled with gelato, while the ubiquitous pigeons hunted-and-pecked their way across the pavements and cobblestones in search of crumbs.

Editor's Note: There will likely be no blog posts until Sunday, 4/23, as we'll be concentrating on various mundane housekeeping chores in preparation for our guests' arrival that day. Also...our weary legs could use some rest!

Dee's Comments:

This is Day #20 into our odyssey, and I'm grateful for the time to rest and reflect upon the differences in life over here, as well as the wonders of exploring new sights and meeting new people. I've really taken the time this trip to be thankful for all the years of our travels to twenty-two countries, and for being able to explore so many places on foot without problems. It's been different this time around, what with my knee and lower back issues, but I've been able to "soldier-on" so far, even though I've had several meltdowns!

Today was another beautiful weather day. We made a brief stop at the pharmacy, then off to our favorite place for lunch (La Maison Douce), where it now seems I'm attracting older men, LOL! After a great lunch, it was off to Piazza Tasso, where it was quieter than usual. The horse and buggy were quite amusing to watch from our viewing bench on the square; when the horse looked into my eyes I felt it was trying to read my mind! We finished the day with a stop at the grocery store. Ladies, this is the hardest part over here; without a car you have to stop almost everyday, and then hump small loads of groceries home on foot!

Final thoughts today...remember to unplug from the routines of daily life, and experience life in a different way. Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Potatoes with spinachPotatoes with spinach
Potatoes with spinach

La Maison Douce
Mixed saladMixed salad
Mixed salad

La Maison Douce
Horse and carriageHorse and carriage
Horse and carriage

Piazza Tasso


21st April 2023

Happy the good weather continues. And I think all the men love Dee, no matter what their age is! Bread with olive oil is one of my favorites, I would eaten the entire basket. Rest up and get ready to enjoy your company. Can’t wait to see what adventures are next.
21st April 2023

Can't Wait!!!
Finally sunshine for you ,,,,and in the forecast. Can't wait to BE there.
21st April 2023

Another Sunny Day
So glad the weather has gotten better.. enjoy the rest tomorrow and have fun with Cindy and her husband. Love you
25th April 2023

beautiful dayz!!!
As I sit and catch up as my past days have been crazy with lots going on in all directions, I listen to the rain dropping on the rooftop... seems it has shifted this direction, which is fine (you have had enough)!! Dee, as Jeni has stated... All the Men love You (young or the ones young at heart!! as do most ladies, lol!!) Grateful you both are taking time to relax and recoup, look forward to the mischiefs with friends from local Florida, hope the weather continues to be bright :)

Tot: 0.383s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb