Salerno and the Amalfi Coast


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Salerno
August 2nd 2018
Published: August 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

30th July

Salerno



Located on the south western Italian coast and known as the Pearl of the Mediterranean it is the most important city next to the Amalfi coast, with the famous towns like Amalfi, Positano, Ravello and Sorrento.



It’s history is recognised by her old University of Medicine which was first in the world.



Recent history, Salerno was the capital of Italy which was moved from Rome in 1943 during WWII, called the “Government of the South” for a few short months.



The Old Town is full of art and culture, it was exploration on foot trying to avoid being run over by scooters and small cars in the VERY narrow streets.



Some tours headed off to nearby Pompeii and along the Amalfi coast road.



So a bit of culture finding ABC (Another B*****y Cathedral) Ill Duomo, San Matteo Cathedral. Only a short walk and probably (the tourist book says) the most outstanding building in the city.



Salerno is known from its ceramics and leather craft so a walk along the Via Dei Mercanti (the Street of Merchants) was in order. The ceramics are produced in nearby Vietri sul Mare and are very colourful.



A lunch, recommended by an owner of a leather shop was good washed down with some local Fiano di Avelino

Ciao


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb