Bye to Deb. Amalfi here we come.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Praiano
May 19th 2012
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.6118, 14.524

It's a sad day. We packed and left Lugascello to drive Deb to the Orvieto train station. After a few tears we waved her off on her train ride to Rome and then flight to Heathrow. We've had a fun week together and we're not sure when we will all see each other again.

Now Sue, G and I are off to the Amalfi coast for the week. Every time we mention to someone we are driving to Amalfi (well G is) they raise their eyebrows and grin. G has done the drive before so knows what to expect, but I'm not sure. I'm imaging sheer drops to the ocean and near misses with the crazy Italian drivers we have been experiencing the last week. Perhaps crazy Italian drivers with gold medallions and hairy chests in convertible sports cars.

Once we hit the coast I can seen what everyone was grinning about. The roads are very narrow and winding. Not too bad and G is a fantastic driver in a big car. The main problem is the buses and the impatient drivers behind us leaning on their car horns. We hardly fit past a bus on the road so have to take it easy. Most cars are scratched and dented although so far we are ok. It takes a while for G to get used to and it really is all about patience but she always keeps her cool and does a great job. I'm usually the navigator and it's working quite well.

We arrive in Praiano safely, our home for the week, and find our apartment. It is lovely. Everything overlooks the coast. Praiano is a small fishing village located between Amalfi and Positano. It is the perfect place to stay. Not so full of tourists but enough restaurants and facilities for us. It's gonna be a great week.

G was dying for a G+T after the day's driving (now known as GT's - Ginnetta Tania + Sue) so we found the nearest hotel, Hotel Margarita, enjoyed a few bevvies, dinner and an early night.

Advertisement



26th May 2012

I Gabbiani looks amazing - awesome views in all directions

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb