Walking with the Gods in Positano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Positano
May 13th 2013
Published: June 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Greg: One of our next stops was based off a blind recommendation from a colleague at work, who had mentioned Positano was everything he thought Sorrento would have been, and it intrigued us enough to book a couple of nights before heading on to Rome.



True to his word, after an hour or so of windy bus trails we reached the water, saw the coastline, and instantly knew why we had came. Narrow streets winding between colourful houses stacked up the steep hills, overlooking a huge expanse of clear blue sea with nothing else but the skyline in sight. After getting out of the bus and simply marveling for a while, we made our way down the streets dodging vespas before checking into our Hostel. We found our stay here one of the best so far, with biometric security throughout (no keys!), amazing cooked breakfasts and a very cheap bar at night....and awesome people! Once unpacked and settled, a fresh swordfish dinner was had at a recommendation of the hostel (turned out to be the top place on tripadvisor too!) before tucking in that night, with plans to relax and explore the city the next day.



As usual, our ideas of taking the day slowly changed once we met another similar minded aussie couple, who were planning on tackling the "Path of the Gods" walk the same morning. With our legs just about recovered from Vesuvius, we jumped aboard the enthusiasm tran and all visited the local deli to fuel up. A windy bus trip to the town of amalfi followed, before another up to the top of the ridge overlooking the coast (one of the most thrilling rides so far, better than anything from disneyland!). From here it was a breathtaking 4hour walk back to Positano, each view more amazing than the last. Making our way back to the hostel just as the rain set in, we spent the night in with some homecooked meals, washed down with some well earnt beers.



Realising we had so much more to do but not enough time, the next day we tried to extend our stay but had no luck since Rome was already locked in. Instead we spent a few hours walking down to the beach, and around the city before having to make a bus back via Pompei and Napoli, so we could journey onto our Rome leg.

One of our favourite resort areas so far, short but very sweet - we still aren't sure if it was the city or the hostel we stayed with that made it, but either way we will definitely be returning again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement












21st June 2013

Nice words!
I don't know which one of you is the wordsmith, but well done. Very descriptive, feels like I have been there. Maybe you have missed your calling as a travel writer?

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb