Praiano Day 3


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Positano
September 20th 2008
Published: September 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Breakfast and down to the internet place to check emails and upload the blog which you have already read. We needed a few supplies so went to the local store where we bought some brie cheese off the wheel, a variety of meats, some we had no clue what they were, fresh bread, large cherry tomatoes and water. We then waited at the bottom of the hill to take us up to the village where we are living. Pretty much all the towns of the Amalfi Coast require a hike up one hill or another and Praiano is no different. We have 3 hills that wind back on each other, there are no stairs which is good thing otherwise it would remind me of being back on the Cinque Terre trail. Most of the Praiano locals have motorbikes that ferry all sorts up the hill including a passenger or two, groceries in various shapes and forms, animals, etc, etc, anything really. As the first hill has a really steep elevation a run up is required which is made quite difficult as there are a few bends before hand but somehow they seem to manage it. We were witness to various assaults on the first hill from the bottom whilst waiting for the little bus to take us up the hills which kept us entertained in the hot midday sun.

Another thing that kept us entertained was old mate Angelo a local dude born and breed as all the people are that we have spoken with. Angelo told us that he was the traffic controller after he’d blown a whistle and scared the sh!t out of a guy that was waiting in his car for his turn to drive up the hill…one of those funny moments! Angelo also gave us his rendition of “It’s Amore” and had most people at the bus stop singing along, it was hilarious!

We ate our very Italian lunch and R had a nap and I soaked up a few rays on the terrace overlooking the med..ahhhh belisimo!

We headed into Positano again for another wander around as R had spotted a sandal shop and wanted to go there and try a few on. She bought a pair that was made while we waited, the leather soles were standard then the boot maker attached straps and the design she had chosen. I resisted all temptation to buy another pair of shoes…not really I just didn’t see anything that I fancied!

After a couple of hours there we were back on the bus to eat locally in Praiano for dinner, we both had pasta and by the time I had finished it looked like I’d licked the plate! The bread they always bring to the table with aqua comes in handy at the end of the meal too! Just on bread…we have had so many different types of bread throughout Italy, most has been great and every region so different. One region of Tuscany carries on the age old tradition and doesn’t use salt in their bread, this is because there was a time when salt was unavailable and they didn’t have any for cooking at all.

Which brings me to Menus; we have seen some very funny translations and spellings (Luckily they haven’t seen my blogs or they’d take the piss out of me) from the Italian description into English. Chop of Pig, Mexed Cheeses, Roar Fish, Fantasy of Chef,

Anyway as we had just missed the bus (a common occurrence for us it seems) we had the walk up the hills…always good after a meal we reckon, specially for the amount and what we have been eating!

Apparently there was a storm that night about ½ hour after we arrived at the villa I didn’t hear a thing, R says it was like a mini cyclone that went for about 2 hours…must be the sea air!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb