Pompeii!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
September 23rd 2006
Published: September 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The theaterThe theaterThe theater

Of course I just have to be the big cheeseball and take a picture in every theater!
We went to Pompeii today. It was awesome—we took a chartered bus there. The ride was not bad at all! Erin and I sat up front by Emilio. We jammed out to *NSYNC the whole way, and when I started doing the dance to “Bye, Bye, Bye” in my seat, Emilio jokingly looked over, patted my arm and said “Margherita! Stop that!”. All of my teachers call me Margherita which I take as a sign of endearment and think it’s really funny. It’s Italian for Margaret and for some reason a lot of teachers think I’d like to be called only Margaret since I tell them my name is Mary Margaret. Anyways, it’s amusing and I like it.

We got off at the remains of Pompeii. We toured it and it was just incredible. The technique the archeologists used to excavate it was to pour plaster down into the ashes. The plaster then took the shape of the cavity made from the decomposition of their bodies, thus leaving a mold. It’s really quite sad to imagine all of the suffering in their last moments of death. I wonder what they think was going on then and if they tried to connect to religion. When you see Mt. Vesuvius, you realize just how big the explosion was that smothered the city of Pompeii. It’s really unbelievable.

I made sure Emilio would take us to the brothel that was there. It’s so interesting because Pompeii is filled with all sorts of phallic material, and everyone seems to think it means they were a bunch of perverts, but really it was a sign of fertility and good luck. Anyways, the brothel was pretty interesting. The frescos still remained of the “order menu” of various positions there and we took some funny pictures.

After touring all of Pompeii we were pretty beat, not to mention dusty. Haha. We got back on the bus, and headed to Sorrento. The school arranged for a hotel there because apparently Naples isn’t a very safe place to stay. Thank goodness Naples is seedy! Our hotel in Sorrento, the Grand Moon Valley—or something like that, was AWESOME! It was a 4 star hotel overlooking the coastline. Jamie, Katie, Erin and I decided to room together and our room was so luxurious. A real break and treat from our apartment. We had a huge balcony that looked out to the water. It was breathtaking.

We cleaned up and then met some of the group downstairs—poolside!—for some pre-dinner festivities and picture taking. We ate dinner at the hotel and it was sooooo good. They served a penne pasta with tomato sauce that was to die for! I had the vegetarian option, so I got an omelet—common Italian fare—and some green beans and fried potatoes. For dessert we had a layered white cake with little raspberries stuck in between the layers. Mmmm! After dinner we all went back to the patio beside the pool and frequented the hotel bar. It was really great because for the first time we all were hanging out together and I got to know everyone a little bit more.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Body CastsBody Casts
Body Casts

This was really sad...
Pompeii PhallacePompeii Phallace
Pompeii Phallace

Haha! I know, I'm a goob...
Concert HallConcert Hall
Concert Hall

Senior pic time!
Emilio!Emilio!
Emilio!

With the tub of Nutella Erin brought in her back pack!
Another Body CastAnother Body Cast
Another Body Cast

Me being a goob again...
Hanging out by the poolHanging out by the pool
Hanging out by the pool

Uh,not really a good group pic, but captures the fun!


27th September 2006

awww!
Give Emilio a hug for me!!! I remember on the bus back from Siena to Florence Meg and I sat by him bugging him for verb help all the way!

Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 8; ; mem: 1.1mb