Pompeii


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
April 14th 2006
Published: June 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Pompeii was a quick visit - definitely worth a look!
We arrived and met our local guide to explain the story to us -starting with AD79 when the volcano 'Vesuvius' erupted and buried the whole city (20,000 people) and left behind the ancient ruins of Pompeii.
There is actually a movie that will give you a good idea of the various stories he told us (You'll have to do a little research because I forget the title - it's not a recent one).
Due to the volcanic rock everything was preserved so well that you could see their paintings (frescoes) on the walls, old cooking pots, the cobbled streets, it even preserved a few bodies the expressions on their faces and all!
We had a great time walking around, seeing the oldest architecture that we've seen yet and how they lived, which is a moment captured through to our time of 2006! Best to see it for yourselves..... ;-)
The meeting square (pictured with Angie below) and in the distance is the huge volcano which buried the city so many years ago, but now it's a magnificent sight!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lava mould of a personLava mould of a person
Lava mould of a person

Where the people fell, the lava cast a mould of their position and facial expressions (of pain) and preserved them.
This is what they used instead of a red light - pointing the wayThis is what they used instead of a red light - pointing the way
This is what they used instead of a red light - pointing the way

This is carved into the stones on the road.
Fast food counterFast food counter
Fast food counter

In these holes is where the food was kept.
Angie at Pompei with the volcanoAngie at Pompei with the volcano
Angie at Pompei with the volcano

You can see the volcano in the back ground.


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb