Up Pompei way


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
March 14th 2008
Published: March 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PompeiPompeiPompei

streeet scene
Pompei is a wreck! I mean you thought Naples was a dump, Pompei is practically unihabitable. It is an amazing place, a bit of a mix between gosh wow ruins and well intentioned rebuilding without too much reference to the original blue prints. Getting to Pompei is a breeze, train from Sorrento and the ruins are right outside the station. There is something eerily familiar about the streetscape and despite what I am sure is a certain amount of poetic license having been taken the effect is still one of familiarity of scale. This is not too dissimilar to what we could quite easily regard as a comfortable lifestyle provided you are not born anything other than a wealthy Roman.
We were hustled into taking a guide but he did prove to be helpful in gaining a more full experience than would have come to us just wandering around saying "gosh" a lot.
Writers far more erudite than I have written about the city itself and the final day which killed 2,000 people so for a commentary of that sort best look elswhere.
We spent about 3 hours before being chased out by a loathing of school children on excursion, and
Pompei villaPompei villaPompei villa

Reconstructed but near enough to probable feeling
finding somewhere to have lunch. A decorator I met told us that there was a good place for a meal and a beer nearby and sure enough there was. We had pizza in the Galle Nero and drank ourselves some beers before hopping the train back to Sorrento and a coffee. W e found a supermarket in the main street of Sorrento and bught a few necessities of life, Tooth paste, razors and Chivas.
For the evening meal we hopped in the car for a quick drive to Massa Lubrense and a meal at the trattoria Tritone which was preety good apart from the desert, a local delicacy made with Ricotta and lemon zest, not horrible just bland.
Back to the hotel for a glass or three of the chivas,,,,
Tomorrow the Amelphi Coast,


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

PomPeiPomPei
PomPei

Not hard to imagine


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb