Naples and Pompei


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
October 16th 2007
Published: October 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Naples and Pompei, that's the tour we went on today. It was by coach with as Nic puts it a bunch of old people. I'm not complaining though, it was one way to see something that we wouldn't have seen other wise.

Naples is the capital of it's region in Italy with seemed to me a port for major import, export.
The tour included lunch at a traditional italian restaurant. First was pasta, then salad with pork. Grapes for dessert.
Pompei for those of you who are interested is a city that was built by the very wealthy a very long time ago. Right next to it is an active volcano but sleeping. It had erupted around 700 bc so they didn't know there was a city there until 1700 bc. They are excavating to this day. Really quite neat.

I was having quite the problem walking today with the curbs. They aren't uniform at all, some taller than others. Good thing my ankles have held out.

Tomorrow it's off to the vatican. I didn't know this but it's considered it's own state, something to do with the religion many years ago and the people divided.

We are then off to Bari, Italy by train. It's quite simple to get a first class ticket for the same price. Just a little more leg room for those who are wondering. Bari is in southern Italy where we are hoping to get on a Ferry to Greece. As Bruce tells us, wear our life jackets all the time!!!!
If we make this ferry tomorrow night there won't be any internet available to us so we won't be on for a day.

Talk to you in Greece


Advertisement



17th October 2007

Love it
Really enjoying your notes -- keep them coming!! Roxanne

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb