A volcano and what it destoyed


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
July 14th 2003
Published: July 14th 2003
Edit Blog Post

Computer ate my blog again... doh...

anyways,yesterday Tania, Lauren Rob and I, running on about 2.5 hours of sleep... maybe 3 each, went to Pompei to see us some ruins. We had meant to sleep but there was a little fiasco with an Alanis Morrisette concert we didnt know about, a bus on a tow truck and the Rome night bus service with kept sleep away from us. Dont take the night busses in Rome, thats the moral of the story, just make sure at 11pm, you are walking distance to your final destination. Not that the MetRo is anything fantastic, but it does run the heated cars regurally.

Pompei was aweome... lots of buildings and walls, still covered in ash to an extent, so it was quite dirty and dusty, but so awesome to see what survived and what didn't. Pompei, bot the ruins and the town, were larger than expected. We walked through the dusty old buildings for a while, looking at the remains of huge frescos and moasaics. The white mosaic tile seems to hold up the best as it was all that was left in many floors.

We got an excellent dinner in Pompei last night. Tanias Cannaloni was excellent, along with my Bruschetta and Veal Piccata. The tomatos in this country, and france, just rock my world. They are red, juicy and have flavor. For E5.50 i got more amazing veal than i could have bought for that price at freshdirect. Totally worthwhile dinner. We got red wine, which i ahve been drinking in Italy, though i still prefer white, i will drink red now.

Today we went to Vesuivius and Ercolano's ruins. The volcano was fun... Rob went bowling with Scoria and we got to hike with the sisters henderson whilst seign an active volcano. A much needed hike, though one of the main activities was removing the little black bugs, which stung us girls but not rob, from eachothers skin and shirts. I am covered in little welts from those suckers, but it was worth it. Great photos... i took over 150 between pompei, vesuvuis and ercolano.

Ercolano provided a great contrast to Pompeii... a smaller port city, but with 2 story buildings and a few reconstructions. pretty damn cool. Some of the wood had even servives, all chared and there. Great mosics and strairs.

From there we headed to Naples, where i hopped a train back to Rome since i fly out of here tomorow to head to denmark. They went o see the Alexander Mosiac and all the other art taken from the sites and should now be on a train to Brindisi where they will head to Greece from. Tania promised to take Mosic photos... did i menion what we illegally took phots at Sistine chapel... just 3 each, but cool to have none the less, so i expect she will come through. I miss them already, they have been so awesome. It was great traveling in a group, even with all the issues of 4 people descionmaking. Ill see tania again in Jaun-Le-Pan, but not lauren and rob. What great times, thank you.

Eating dinner alone was a bit sad, and not nearly as much fun... but i did get the 1/4 litre of wine for €1.10, which is 3 glasses, so i am a bit more tipsy than planned.

Tomorow is my birthday... going to the Jewish Ghetto and flying to Copenhagen... yay---- i hope the north is cooler, the weathewr is so hot here, no wonder italians and I eat so much gelato!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb