Naples, Italy.... blah


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Naples
June 19th 2006
Published: June 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Riding first class baby!!Riding first class baby!!Riding first class baby!!

And thank god because we were on the train for 12 hours this day
We spent ALL day yesterday just to get from Nice to Naples. 3 hours to Genova, Italy... a 2 hour layover there..... then 9 hours from Genova to Naples. The first train ride was great, we sat with two Australians who were so fun to talk to and the time flew by. The whole train ride was right on the coast so it was so beautiful as well. Then we had a layover in Genova and hopped on the next train to Naples. This ride was not so great. Our car was the only one with a broken air conditioner, and the heat was stifling. Everyone around us was upset and yelling at the staff, but we didnt understand what was going on until the guy next to us translated for us. We arrived in Naples an hour late and didn't get in until 11:30 pm. Traffic is crazy in Naples, (worse than Paris which I didnt think was possible) it was dark and we were so lost. We found a really nice Italian stallion and he walked us to our hostel... THANK GOD for that guy, otherwise I'm not sure how we would have found it, we had horrible directions. But we found it and passed out right away. We woke up this morning and there was a whole market set up below us... no wonder it was so loud when we woke up! We walked through it, they were selling everything from shoes to clothes to porn... and and decided to do laundry instead... really it was about time. We walked around a bit more then decided to head off for Pompeii. It was an hour tram ride to get there, stifling hot, beating sun, way too overcrowded on the tram. We started to feel a little lost but all you have to do is find the English speakers and follow where they are going, it always leads to victory! We walked around Pompeii for about 2 hours, and all though it was so hot outside it was amazing! That city was sooo advanced for its time, and to see the cast of the bodies, the amphitheater (sp?) and everything else was unreal. The sun took a lot out of us though so we decided to head back. We got back to the train station and hopped an a trolley in attempts to find the beach. Once we got there, we walked around a bit, but no beach, just large boulders that dirty old italian men were sunbathing on. The water was disgusting as well, so we just grabbed some pizza (real pizza!) and headed back to our hostel. We just had some really good gelatto and the most amazing donut Heidi says you could wear as a hat because it was so big before coming here to this internet place. Other than that, it is 8:30 pm and we are done with Naples. It is such an industrial city, very dirty, very crowded, we are tired of being visually molested by Italian men, somebody is selling something on every part of every street, and you feel like you might die everytime you have to cross a street. It is so much like Tijuana that Heidi and I are having a hard time looking past that. The only thing we have loved are the people running the hostel. It is a family and everytime we walk out of our room, they ask where you are going and then no questions asked give you exact directions of how to get there, the best way to be safe, the best places to eat.... anything and everything you would need to know. It's all in a mix of Italian and bad English, but we always seem to know exactly what they are saying. It is a very small hostel, they take good care of the place and have been so helpful during our stay. So now, we are going to go hang out with a guy from Tenessee and a girl from Munich who are staying with us in our room and CHILL.... all in attempts to avoid the Naples outside.... ciao!!

P.S. The camera is being shady again so no pictures until next time.. sorry!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb