Naples Day One


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Naples
August 20th 2010
Published: August 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Fully refreshed from our first class train journey we entered Naples to Bedlam Square - sorry, Piazza Garibaldi. It was mayhem, with busses, coaches, taxis and street sellers taking up every square foot. We eventually found the right bus in the scorching heat but stayed on it too long and got a taxi back to the hotel. Hannah had already checked in (she flew in earlier in the day) and had taken the boat to Capri so we had a few hours to explore before we met her.

We had a walk along the bay but it was too hot to continue any further so we went back to the hotel to refresh and unpack. It is so nice to know that you are staying in the same place for three nights after sleeping in ten places over the previous thirteen nights. It felt like we had a home again and we happily organised our belongings, including Nat's growing souvenir collection.

We strolled down to Molo Beverello, the ferry port to meet Hannah at 5.30 and while waiting had Gelato #4 Stracciatella and Mento Chiccolato from Cafe Beverello. We waved Hannah's boat in and all went for a drink in Palazzo Reale where I talked like crazy over prosecco (me + Han) and sprite (Nat) and got her up to speed with the trip so far.

Back at the hotel room, Hannah had some real treats in her luggage - pumice stone, foot cream and cotton buds! A long luxurious clean up of myself and Nat took place. I can move my toes again and I can guarantee that there are no longer wax vegetables growing from my son's ears because he kindly left the dirty cotton buds on the side of the sink as proof.

We strolled down to the marina for dinner, very exited to be in the place where the first margherita pizza was made. After much coaxing from many sales men / waiters we sat down at a table on the edge of the marina at a restaurant that promised a free gift after the meal. The waiter was very attentive until we told him that we would not be taking him up on his suggestion / hard sell of the mixed seafood starter for two. The service went downhill but the food was great: pizza (Nat + Han) and pasta (me) with Vesuvius wine (me + Han) and sprite (Nat). The free gifts were profiteroles in an ice cream foam (all of us) and limocella (adults only).

Back at the hotel we watched the A=Team (again) until we fell asleep - Nat first, then me, then Hannah. The best and longest night's sleep I have had for two weeks.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb