Welcome to Avellino


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Avellino
April 11th 2007
Published: April 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The “Monuments” of Avellino take about twenty minutes to see. There’s the clock tower in the Old Town, Il Duomo (the domed church) and a fountain. If you are looking for tourist attractions and to take pictures of grand cathedrals and famous statues, skip Avellino head straight to Rome and get your camera ready.

But if you want a true Southern Italian experience pull off of the autostrade and take the small, winding road inland to Avellino. Here you will get a taste of Italian hospitality at its finest and some of the most amazing food in the world. In Avellino, you don’t observe Italy; you live it.

The village of Avellino is at the foot of a valley just a forty minute drive from Naples, or Napoli in Italian. I had expected country bumpkins and farmers’ daughters when I arrived, but instead I found rebellious teens and trendy twenty-somethings strolling the quaint streets in Gucci and Armani. Impossibly sexy women saunter across cobblestone streets in impossibly high heeled leather boots and the men wear sunglasses at all hours.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb