Sorrento to Amalfi Italy 19 October 2013


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
October 20th 2013
Published: October 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sorrento to Amalfi Italy 19 October 2013

After such a lovely day on the Isle of Capri yesterday, surely it couldn’t get better today! We were heading for a drive along the Amalfi Coast. As our camp site at Marina de Cantone which is perched up on top of a cliff on the Amalfi coast about 20 km across the peninsula from Sorrento, we woke to a brilliant blue sky and almost a mill-pond sea. It was spectacular. If this was an indication of what we were to see today, bring it on!!

After breakfast and a chat to camping neighbours – a couple from GB and a lady from near Frankfurt – and after Tom washed the windscreen, ready for the photos we were going to take, we left at about 9.00am. It took us 3 hours to do 50km. The road was narrow, windy and with plenty of cars and busses on the road.

We 1st headed for Positano. All along the coastal road were spectacular views. Was it better than the scenes along Cinque Terre, let’s not compare. I will leave the photos to tell the story.

We were planning to stop for coffee and a wander in Positano but at an intersection 2 policemen wagged their fingers at us and told us very strongly that campers are not allowed along the coastal road. We vaguely remembered a conversation with someone in the past about this but was this an occasion to “ask for forgiveness and not permission”? It was just as far to go back to Sorrento as it was to keep going, so we did the later.

Driving through the towns was pretty hairy. One time, we came across a local bus going the other way. I reckon we had about 3cm spare each side.

We finally got to the little town of Amalfi. This town simply slid into the sea during an earthquake in 1343. It had a population of 70,000. It used to be a maritime superpower but now it is a little place that takes less than 20 minutes to walk from one end to the other. The houses that are in the town are again, perched up the cliff face. The water was a brilliant blue and the sky had fluffy, white clouds. Incredible.

We were now off across the Italian peninsular, heading towards the eastern coast of Italy.

What a great day. It’s over to the photos for the rest of the story of the day. Enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb