Music on the Rocks


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
July 8th 2006
Published: July 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Happy birthday Cathy! This was the theme of my weekend in Amalfi. Planned months ago, the 30th of Squeezy was always going to be celebrated in style. The thunder and lightning that welcomed me didn’t start the weekend as planned, nor did the one and a half hour late bus to the train station, the two cancelled trains to Salerno and the just-missed bus to Amalfi. Fifteen and a half hours later I made it. We should have picked Bangkok; it probably would have been quicker!

My mood was quickly reversed when I saw Cathy and Co. (Aideen and Antonio) and the enormous and tasty pasta, salad, bread, olives and cake meal that Cath had prepared for my arrival. Despite tiredness from a long day of travel I made it out for a wander and gelati followed by sitting on the steep steps that lead up to the cathedral, from which we people watched in the piazza. Before long, Aideen and Cathy’s plan came to fruition with Luca and his able sidekick appearing on the steps wanting to practice their English. This was my cue to head to home.

Saturday arrived and we trotted down to the beach. We hired umbrella shaded lounges with the rest of the masses and slothed the afternoon away. I had a dip in the clear and refreshing water and on the way back to the lounge couldn’t manage to avoid getting my feet and legs covered in the clingy black rock-sand that made up the beach.

After a tasty lunch of cold meat, quality cheese, bread, fruit and salad Cathy and I went for a wander around town managing to fit in another round of gelati between a walk through the narrow residential alleys and an inspection of the cathedral.

It was soon time to begin the grooming. We beautified ourselves out of the 8pm bus we wanted to catch to Positano so we ate in Amalfi instead and caught the 10pm one. Being the nanna that I am I managed to have a nap on the way there. Our destination: Music on the Rocks.

Cathy and Aideen had found this nightclub on their visit last year and having had such a good time then, Cathy decided it to be the perfect venue for her 30th. Deciding to first sit at a café nearby and drink house wine rather than launch into the €10 flat rate drinks, we watched as the beautiful people started entering the club, two stories high on a sheer cliff face. I swear there must be something in the water at the Amalfi coast as EVERYONE was beautiful. The men were tall and slim and handsome, the women tall and slim and beautiful, and everyone was IMMACULATELY groomed: shirts were crisp, hair was slick, sideburns were trimmed, dresses were individual and flamboyant, nails were perfect and makeup was just right. We people watched for most of the night there and noticed that not one person was visibly drunk. We left just before the closing time of 4am to trundle back up the hill to the main road where we were to wait for a bus or a taxi.

4am. No taxis. No buses.

5am. No taxis. No buses. One grumpy Jess. Realisation that the first bus isn't until 6:00am.

6am. No taxis. No buses. One lying on the concrete bus seat trying to sleep Jess. Bus timetable checked. First bus during the week 6:00am; on a Sunday however, 9:30am.

Cathy and Aideen walked into Positano centre to try and find a cab. No cabs found. They did however come across four men at a garage, one of which they convinced to drive us back to Amalfi for €60. Not a bad deal between the four of us really.

We went to sleep and did not stir until the midday bells of the cathedral were our alarm clock.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb