Down the coast


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
May 22nd 2008
Published: May 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in downtown Praiano at the Hotel Margherita yesterday. Internet access has been difficult.

TUSCANY
Wow, what a place! So many hills, windy roads and beautiful litttle villages. The Chianti area we were in was Radda, the very heart of the Tuscan hills. From our base at Villa Visterinni, we went to places like San Gimiano, Volterra, Pisa, Siena and Florence. Each day, a diferent direction. The architecture and the sheer history is amazing. All places were probably better than expected. Weather wasn't too bad. The windy roads were a good teacher of RHS driving. I know where the Italian Grand Prix drivers practice lol.

TIVOLI
We drove from Toscana about 300k south and arrived in Tivoli, just outside of Rome and stayed the night there. Tivoli was where the Roman Patricians went to escape the summer heat. They built luxurious Villas there. We tried to see some of the sights but the weather closed in on us making it impossible. We went back into Tivoli for dinner. What a night! There is only one road up the mountain to the town and an accident had happened half way up. Our trusty GPS told us there was another
To one side of the TowerTo one side of the TowerTo one side of the Tower

This Crypt building was devastated during the war but since rebuilt.
road... Great. What it didn't tell us was that the other road was more a goat track hah! The track did widen to more than a couple of inches either side of the side mirrors as we entered the back streets. We almot got to an actual road when a truck/van loomed in front of us telling us to move back. Well there were about 10 cars behind us and we all had to reverse down this norrow lane til we found somewhere to move aside. The truck stayed 2 inchs from my bumper the whole way!!!! That wasnt the end of it tho' The GPS also doesn't tell you when a road is heritage listed/ tourist prohibited! It also tends to have a hissy fit when too many laneways join up and spins around an when you've got to make a instant dicision.... then you get the dreaded "Recalculating". No matter. We eventually found the restaurant the travel book recommended (50 metres from where it should have been) and had an enjoyable meal.

AMALFI
The weather deteriorated the next day (next will be a cyclone) and we travelled south another 300k hoping the weather would improve. It didn't.
In VolterraIn VolterraIn Volterra

Quaint less touristy town near San Gimiano with magnificent views.
The roads here are similar windy ones but this time there's a sheer 400m drop on one side of you. We acctully went over and through the mountain from Naples to Amalfi instead of around the coast. When we came out on the coast side we were 3/4 up a mountain and the road snaked down the side. We only drove in actual distance a couple of clicks but it took an hour because of the hairpin turns.
The weather was still a bit dismal when we got to the hotel but we caught the bus into Positano. Positano is very touristy but beautiful. The houses are perched on top of each other sometimes 5 storeys high, 1st and 5th floor with its' own street entrance (the same street, work that out... lol)
Caught the bus back without much ado and had dinner at the hotel.
This morning the weather has improved somewhat 😊 even a little sun and we plan to go into Amalfi town.
That's all for now. Thanks for the comments. Check back later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The viewThe view
The view

This is the view from Volterra.
Ponte VecchioPonte Vecchio
Ponte Vecchio

Deb & Lorry near the Ponte Vecchio
ScooterScooter
Scooter

We saw this in Siena.
DavidDavid
David

David in Florence
Villa VisterinniVilla Visterinni
Villa Visterinni

This was taken the night before we left Tuscany.
Amalfi CoastAmalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast

This was the first sight of the coastline after going through the mountain. More pics to follow as weather is getting better now.


22nd May 2008

oooh!
Hi dad and Fran! Hope you guys are enjoying the trip... its sounds like some amazing places. Glad you're getting around (gotta love the trusty GPS! hehe) I'll stay tuned for the next update! love suze
24th May 2008

Memories
Great to hear from you and see the pics. Memories are flooding back. Hope you are not driving up and down the hill from Praiano every day. The bus was bad enough.
25th May 2008

Amalfi and more.
Hi great to hear of your adventures. Is Praiano still as beautiful as I remember? Have you been to the little restaurant at the bottom of the road with the peach wine. Hopefully the weather will improve and you can enjoy the pool and the view from the rooftop of Margherita.
25th May 2008

Driving in Praiano
Yes, we are driving (see blog) Even Fran has had a drive. She said "Wait ti Lib and Kathy hear that I've driven here :)"
25th May 2008

Peach wine
It's too early in the season for the peach wine :( We went to the restaurant around the cliff side. MAG bloody NIFICENT !!!
29th May 2008

Hi Ali
Thanx Ali Hope u and sis's are well. Did u get the postcard?

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb