Sorrento


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
July 6th 2005
Published: July 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After a hectic couple of days in Naples, we really needed a break so decided to take the hydrofoil directly to Sorrento and hopefully spend a few days at the beach. The weather was still as hot as it gets, the only way we've been surviving is with a siesta in the afternoon.

Sorrento is a small resort town jammed halfway up a cliff about an hour's ferry ride or an hour and a half's train ride from Naples. The town itself was a very tourist oriented town, expensive stores, restaurants advertising the 'menu touristico' and generally not a lot of Italian being spoken. We were staying in a cabin at a campground about 10 minutes walk outside the town, so were just close enough to make trips in to town easily but far enough away so the closest beach was actually the harbor of a small fishing village. This was fantastic, because as we were to find out this was one of the only free beaches in the area! The locals knew about this beach too, there was many a large italian family enjoying themselves in the sun.

The cabin had a full kitchen so I finally got to try out some of the amazing produce and Italian pasta, plus we were able to sample a few local Sorrento wines which were amazing, especially for about four euros a bottle! We had a full day on Wednesday (my birthday!), so we thought a bit of bike touring was in order so hired a scooter for the day. Sorrento is located on the northern side of a small peninsula, which is scattered with small villages mostly devoted to fishing and tourism. The roads were great, well kept asphalt but were very skinny and amazingly windy. This was WRC Italy style stuff, although I can't say the 125cc scooter had any chance of making it up to dangerous speeds!

Audrey and I had a really relaxing time lounging on the beach and just generally chilling out before our next excursion to Florence, or Firenze...






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



8th July 2005

Happy belated Birthday Michael!
Wow! Someone is getting spoiled. Last year you were in the Cook Islands for your birthday and this year in Italy! Where will you be next year??
8th July 2005

I have been to several of these places myself but it has been years! How wonderful to share in your journey!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb