Biking in Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Otranto
November 6th 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Leisure Biking in Puglia and Calabria





This blog does not have the details of my other biking blogs.

We have been vacationing in the southern Italian regions of Puglia, Abruzzo, Basilicata and Calabria for many years. We have always wanted to try biking, but just never seemed to have the time.



This year we made time and stayed at a few places that had bicycles available. There were no long distance rides, just a few leisurely rides on back roads filled with olive groves, almond, pommogranate, lemon, fig trees and many others.

We had a chance to ride in the regions of Puglia and Calabria (the heel and the foot)

These two regions of Italy have sprouted hundreds of Agriturismos and Masserias. These are both higher end Bed and Breakfast.

They have a rural location, often include a dining room and many other amenities including a pool and often a few bicycles.

Don't expect multi-speed bikes. These are usually single speed or 3 speed, with a basket on the handlebars and a rack on the back. In other words perfect for a FLAT landscape and for older people like us, who like to stop and smell the roses (or the orange blossoms!)

We had the opportunity to try out some bikes near Polignano a Mare (near Bari), Borgagne (a village near Otranto) and in Botricello Calabria (near Catanzaro)



The enclosed photos give a brief view of the bicycles and the scenery.



On at least 3 occasions we have come across guided or independent biking groups in the region. They have top of the line bikes and equipment




More Photos below




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Masseria BaronaliMasseria Baronali
Masseria Baronali

Near Polignano a Mare


Tot: 0.452s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0888s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb