Livin' for the Weekend


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Brindisi
January 15th 2007
Published: January 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Jonah's AlleyJonah's AlleyJonah's Alley

Actually it has another name, but this is graffitti written on a wall. So I have taken to calling it by this name.
We had our first full weekend of actual socializing! Whew! What a relief! We have really been missing our social life with our friends. Culturally, it is difficult to integrate oneself into the social fabric of Italian life. One reason is that Italians are very much family centered. We also don’t work with many Italians and that further reduces our chances to get to know more people.
Friday night we went out to dinner with a fellow ex-pat American. I ran across the website jeffinpuglia.blogspot.com during one of my internet surf sessions. Jeff lives in Brindisi and is an aerospace engineer. He has been in Italy for the last three years. Do go visit his site. I particularly like that he has provided links to information about Italy. There is a link that provides itineraries on events that occur in our neck of the woods. That is quite helpful as it is difficult to find information about events that are taking place in Puglia.
I contacted Jeff and we met for dinner. We went to La Locanda Del Porte, a local ristorante that we both like. It is located close to the waterfront and is one of those places that we
For a good mealFor a good mealFor a good meal

No nonsense food and great service. The owner/manager is a great guy.
consider to be a reliable place for solidly good food. It is one of those places that the locals go to because the food and the prices are very good. It is also one of those places that if you have been there more than a couple of times, they recognize you and make you feel at home.
I had an opportunity to sample a fish that I have been wanting to taste. I don’t know the name of the fish. It is a reddish color and it is shaped like a skate or ray, but more flat and with a tail. It is also somewhat gelatinous. It isn’t particularly meaty, but very tasty. “Yeah, I know that you are thinking…”Yummm!”
Nonetheless, we had a fun time comparing notes about being Americans living in Brindisi. Jeff confirmed that it is indeed difficult to create a social circle. His first year was quite “solo.” Now he knows quite a few people and after dinner he took us to “The Goblin” a local pub. There was a local cover band doing Pink Floyd stuff, they were quite good. When we got there Jeff introduced us to a group standing outside. Inside, quite
Pour!Pour!Pour!

Vincenzo know how to wield a bottle.
a few people greeted him as well.
The next evening we were invited to dinner by Vincenzo and Sara. We know Sara from work. She is a fellow ex-pat and just recently started working at the school with the after school English language program. Vincenzo is a custom autobody painter.
Sara fixed up numerous antipasti dishes that are consider “tipici”, that is “typical” of Pugliese cusine. It was very tasty. We started with a killer prossecco that I purchased at one of the local shops. The owner is this really great old guy named Antonio. This is where we purchase most of our wine, by the by. Anyway, he recommended the bottle and told me to remember to report back on what we thought about the wine. Final Answer: We will definitely be drinking more of that stuff!
After the antipasti, we went down to the corner pizzeria to get some take out - it ain’t Domino’s, that’s for sure! The people there were curious and somewhat bemused. We were probably the most Americans they’ve ever seen in that neighborhood. It isn’t exactly a touristy locale. But, that is what we are looking for so it all works out well
Excellent PizzaExcellent PizzaExcellent Pizza

Beth and I like thin crust, little cheese, marinara and "forno a legna" of course!
in the end. We went back to the apartment and proceeded to dine on pizza. Beth and I had the “Al Diavolo” pizza. The Devil pizza, meaning it is spicy. Vincenzo broke out the 5 euro gallon jug of wine and we dined like kings. Pizza, wine, and Ella Fitzgerald…definitely the full meal deal.
So all in all it was an excellent weekend. Good food, wine, and friends. Who could ask for more than that!
We are planning on going to a bonfire Tuesday night. It is some local town’s patron saint festival. Photos and commentary to follow should we decide to attend.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

How do you say...How do you say...
How do you say...

Sara helping me fit into Italian life by writing down a list of keen swear words for me to learn. Vincenzo providing additional expertise.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb