Living in the Castle


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
July 5th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 53.2064, -8.86583

Philip and I slept late finding it easy to sleep in the quiet and quite dark castle. It is very old, some parts built in the 11th century, and has lots of characteristic scars and oddities, but the beds are comfortable and the plumbing works. We couldn't get the shower to turn on even after getting the very specific instructions from Karen on how to work the electric shower. Turns out we did not turn one button far enough. She showed me how to do it today. The kitchen is huge and outfitted with everything we might possibly need, but I am not going to do real cooking. After a breakfast of muffins we bought yesterday and strawberries and bananas that Karen provided, we spent the morning puttering around the castle and grounds enjoying the space. When we got hungry, we drove into town to buy groceries for simple meals for lunch and dinner. We considered walking there since it is very close, but thought better of it when we looked at the road again. It's barely a two-lane with bushes and nettles growing right on the edge of the road.

We walked around the property several times during the day. The area is beautiful right on the Kilcolgan River, a tidal river that is ever changing. Grizzly, one of six or seven dogs living at the castle, greeted us as soon as we arrived yesterday and now thinks she owns us. She's so friendly and loves to have her ears rubbed. When Karen brought out one of the other dogs and Philip started to pet him, Grizzly nuzzled in between the two of them and pushed the other dog away with a friendly, yet insistent, nip. There are horses and chickens on the castle's property and lots of birds on the river within view.

In the evening after dinner in, Philip lit the peat fire that Karen had laid yesterday. It was cool in the castle, and the fire warmed us up just enough. Very pleasant and relaxing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb