A perfect day in Cong


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
August 5th 2008
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

What started as a rush across Galway to catch a bus (which we missed), turned into a perfect day of hitch hiking, great detours, amazing weather and enjoying a book and lunch by a picturesque river. After missing the bus we walked to the appropriate intersection for a ride toward Cong and were picked up by a ride who wanted to show us a church ruin which was off the main road and amazing. They took the time to show us around and explain the construction techniques since they were both masons. Since I have studied building codes, I found it interesting and of course I love wandering and climbing around ruins.

They then brought us to the nearby town as they were unable to take us all the way to Cong and we bought a picnic lunch and caught a ride the took us directly to Ashford Castle outside of Cong. We wandered as far into and around the castle until we needed to actually pay for a tour and then walked through the woods to the small town of Cong. We had lunch and time to enjoy a book at the monks old fishing house. This was the one time during the trip that the rain had stopped long enough that things were dry and we could just relax and enjoy.

After a relaxing day, we caught a ride all the way back to Galway in time to join the non-groom and his parents for dinner. It was interesting and at times awkward to continually meet people at this difficult time in their lives, but it was still great to get to know them anyway.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb