Rings of Kerry and Skelling


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
October 16th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

16 October 2008

Leaving Sandy Bay we headed back towards Anascaul in order to join the Ring of Kerry drive on the Iveragh Peninsula. The weather gradually improved and by the time we reached Valentia (of shipping forecast fame) Island it was warm and sunny. The Ring of Skelling took us round the island and passed the slate quarry and the point where the first successful transatlantic cable connection was made to Newfoundland in 1868. The scenery was some of the most impressive we have seen including views back to the Dingle Peninsula and over to the rocky Skelling Islands. Sadly, we were too late in the season to have a boat trip to Skelling Michael and see its monastery.

Back on the mainland, we followed the steep and narrow coast road to St Finan’s, a beautiful sandy bay and the surprising home of a chocolate factory. We decided to spend the night here and watched surfers and expert kayak surfers one of whom used to be in the Enland team. The memory of the sun setting over the bay will remain with us for a long time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb