Ireland for Awhile


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
June 21st 2007
Published: June 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well hello hello.

Finally catching up with these blogs and hopefully this one will get me right up to speed. I arrived in Ireland laden with bags and walked directly into the welcoming door of my own home. It was such a relief that Richard had gotten everything arranged for our new place and had it all ready for my arrival. We have a tiny little 'bedsit' apartment about a half hour walk from work and downtown. Despite it's small size we are happy to have a clean warm place which is very conveniently located and are still laughing every night as we elbow our way into the twin bed. When the laughing stops it will be time to move to a bigger place but hopefully by then we'll be on our way back to Canada.

I started work almost immediately after arriving here at John Fleming Architects. I've been working now almost three weeks already (time is whizzing away) and so far it's going very well. I will work there till the end of August then fly back to Canada.

The first weekend after I arrived was Richard's yearly office trip. He works for a couple named Paul and Maria who own a small firm.... very small... just him and them 😊. They took us to their summer house in Kerry for the weekend which is in the South West part of Ireland about 4 hours drive from Dublin. We went swimming in the sea, barbequed, and played soccer in their backyard. The highlight of the trip however was when they dropped us at the dock in Portmagee to take a boat out to Skellig Michael. The Skelligs are two islands about a 45 minute ride from shore. One is inhabited by 55 000 gannets which arrive every spring and stay till fall when they fly back to Africa for the winter. The other island, Skellig Michael, is crested by a 7th Century monastery which was inhabited from the 600s to the 1700s. The landscape of these rocks is amazing and unimaginable so I will simply show you some pictures to explain.

Weekend number two was spent relaxing in Dublin. We had friends Melissa and James over for dinner Saturday night and Sunday afternoon went to the busking festival at Merrion Square. We saw a Canadian comedian, Bill Ferguson who was really funny. We also saw a magician and an Australian on a 3m unicycle juggling fire blindfolded.

This weekend we are heading up to Belfast to see what all the fuss is about. Richard has already been there so he will be my tourguide once again and we'll hopefully see a couple of things he missed. Hope everyone is doing well back at home and still enjoying the blog! I am adjusting well to Ireland, the only thing I hate is the constant gloom of clouds and rain but they say it's not always this way... I guess we'll wait and see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Richard and little SkelligRichard and little Skellig
Richard and little Skellig

hanging on for dear life!
Beehive MonasteryBeehive Monastery
Beehive Monastery

Kitchen in front, sleeping domes in back
InfrastructureInfrastructure
Infrastructure

...and Little Skellig
Irish CountrysideIrish Countryside
Irish Countryside

Much more beautiful than dirty ol' Dublin


22nd June 2007

Picturesque
Hi Jess, you are right about the beauty of the country side once you leave the city. The picture of the Beehive Monastery is fascinating. Appears to have some similarities with the Igloos shape wise with the only difference being one is with snow. Hmm too bad about the weather. We have been having great temperatures here especially in Northern Ontario. 30-33 C hotter than some areas in S. Ont.Will make sure to send some of this good weather to Richard and you. Hate to hoard them all to ourselves. Enjoy Belfast. I felt a lump in my throat with the history it left behind and many questions twirling in my head one being why the world still continues to have wars. Would you be going to the Giant's causeway? A must if you could swing it. Keep those pictures coming. cheers vila

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb