Planning a Family Road Trip in Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
July 6th 2019
Published: July 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post



Planning for a family trip to Ireland? If the answer is yes, make sure to include a road trip or two in your itinerary. While you'll be eager to see major cities such as Dublin, don't forget that there's much more to Ireland than just its metropolitan areas and that there are many areas, especially rural ones, that aren't readily accessible (or accessible at all) with public transportation. There's so much to see and explore on this island, you'll feel you missed out if you don't experience as much as you possibly can. You should consider renting a large car or a van instead of a car for your travels. It will give your family more room to sit and travel comfortably, as they admire the fascinating landscape passing outside. In Ireland, upgrading your car to a larger vehicle is typically not very expensive when compared to other countries in Europe, so it’s worth it.

Below is a list of tips you'll want to keep in mind as you plan your Ireland family vacation. Remember: planning is key and will help to create an unforgettable experience that you and your kids will treasure forever.


• Plan your trip and its itineraryfar in advance. You need to spend time thoroughly researching the areas and places you want to visit and deciding on how much time you want to spend in each place. Ensure you give yourself more than enough time in each area, as you don't want to feel rushed as you explore (and definitely not as you drive, as that could be dangerous). Research the spots and attractions on offer in each location, and discuss with your family how long you would like to enjoy them. Look into events such as festivals, sporting events, and concerts, too. If any tickets are required, make sure to purchase them now.
• Give yourself lots of time to get used to the roads and make sure you are well-rested before you start driving. Learn about Ireland's roads in advance, and realize that some of them (especially in rural areas) are extremely narrow and might only have one lane. Don't expect to travel quickly. In some cases, you'll probably be driving at around 35-40 km/hr. Don't put your family in a potentially dangerous situation by being unaware of this. This guideoffers a good primer.
• It's best to plan to spend about 2 to 3 days in each place you visit on your journey. This will give you at least one or two full days to explore everything the spot has to offer. Do your research on the accommodations available and make your bookings well in advance. The types of accommodation options available will depend on the location. Ireland has many different types of accommodations, ranging from luxury hotels to farmhouses run as bed and breakfast accommodations. There are also hotels in country houses and guest houses, as well as other options.

Have a Fantastic Time Exploring Ireland with Your Family




If you keep all these tips in mind and do your research properly, you'll be all set to have a safe and memorable time in Ireland. Remember to take lots of pictures!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.644s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb