Bangor (Northern Ireland)


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
September 18th 2018
Published: September 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

There was once a time (1950's) when Bangor Northern Ireland was one of the biggest tourist destinations in all of Ireland, when songs were sung about it, and ferries during the summer months would bus over from Scotland’s nearer cities as well as those from more northern towns and cities of England. So it was almost like a mini Blackpool, only in Ireland,until cheap airfare and convenient travel routes brought them instead to the sunnier coastlines of mainland Europe. And there Bangor did lose a lot of its prestige, yet no doubt it still shares those exact qualities and beauty with scenic coasts that once attracted crowds of tourists to begin with. But Bangor is still a hugely popular destination with the more discerning traveller, with the largest marina in all of Northern Ireland found at the centre of its seafront. As well as a whole load of golf courses scattered through the coastal regions which are known often as Northern Ireland’s “Gold Coast” due to the desirability and prices of property.

Exploring Bangor Town

Not to mention that it is also a destination which can be easily reached from all over Northern Ireland, and Ireland for that matter, with train and bus services connecting the town to the many cities of the island in little more than a couple of hours from Dublin and 30 minutes from Belfast. In fact it is just a handful of stops from Belfast’s central stations, to reach Bangor train station, which is found directly opposite Bangor Castle, on top of a hill that looks down from Castle Park towards the central marina of the town. Bangor also has its fair share of historic and heritage attractions, including many ancient churches, and a free museum at the town hall, it is the seafront area of Bangor that brings the tourists, with the central boat marina, Bangor’s Eisenhower (North) Pier, and Pickie Fun Park which is a great place for the kids. Not to forget the North Down Coastal Path, which is one of the most scenic seaside walks in all of Northern Ireland.

The North Down Coastal Path

The North Down Coastal Path starts only a few train stops down from Belfast City centre, however the contrasts between this scenic coastal path and the central city streets, is phenomenal. And while there are always alternative locations to start along the coastal path, Bangor will undoubtedly be the highlight, where passing Pickie Fun Park the seaside scenery and seascapes become wild and rugged. The path also follows the train line between Bangor – Belfast which means it’s easy to just hop on and off trains if the legs get tired.And the best stations found on this route include Carnalea, Helen’s Bay, and Hollywood. Then there will be all sorts of local attractions along the coastal path, such as Crawfordsburn Beach and Country Park, the pokey village of Helen’s Bay, and the old World War Fort at Grey’s Point Fort. Then there’s the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum which is just a short walk inland at Cultra. But the absolute highlight of the North Down coastal path is the rather magnificent coastline scenes between beaches, forest parks, and contrasting seascapes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.795s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb