Cahir and caves


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Tipperary
October 1st 2009
Published: October 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Since our last posting we travelled along the southern coast spending a night along the road in Clonakilty. That evening we spent a night on the town. We found a great pub that had live music and great company. We made some friends with some Brits.....I was convinced one was Billy Idol :-) The music reminded us of home. Lots of folk/country sound, it was like being at Boundary Bay. The bartender wrote us a list of attractions and places to go before we left county cork/waterford. Therefore, the next day we drove to Kinsale, a small harbour town, and saw charles fort. It is one of the largest stone forts in Ireland. We spent last night in Dungarvan. Last night we both agreed that living in the camper is getting a little old and the comforts of home are sounding better.
Today we drove to Mitchelstown and toured caves.....we went spelunking ! The caves were discovered about 200 years ago and are in amazing condition. Unfortunately, photographs were prohibited. We ventured on to the town of Cahir. We toured a castle from the 13th century that remains in great condition. Actually the movie Excalibur was filmed here in the 80's. We were able to climb around towers, see the dungeon and play with the portcullis. (I learned that is a fancy word for gate). We are headed to Kilkenny tomorrow for a celtic festival. Our campground there supposively has internet so we can get some pictures uploaded from our computer.
Looking forward to seeing everyone
Cheers !
The Morrison's

Advertisement



1st October 2009

Towers, dungeons and caves, oh my!
That 13th century castle sounds amazing! Can't wait to see all your pictures! Miss you... Love, mb

Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb