IRELAND - DAY 4


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Offaly » Tullamore
October 3rd 2013
Published: October 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

DUNCAN & FERGIEDUNCAN & FERGIEDUNCAN & FERGIE

My traveling companions
Well the Irish liquid sunshine is still with us but not dampening our spirits. The plants and the farmers are happy. After a quiet morning Mick took us to the Offaly Historic Society located on a newly revamped canal side walkway. There were lots of books and pamphlets for sale and a research center attached for those who wished to trace their ancestry.



We tiptoed through the raindrops to the Bond Store for a lovely roasted red pepper soup and brown bread with Miriam and Liam. This complex has been renovated as well and pays homage things that made Tullamore special. One of these is Tullamore Dew Irish Whisky. My father-in-law used to bring me back a bottle when he traveled here in the 60's.



The current owner is building a huge distillery complex and bond house just outside the town and it is scheduled to open next year. In the mean time he has invested huge sums in the Heritage Center that will highlight the brewing process but also other important aspects of Midland life. Miriam may take us on a tour on Sunday.



Back at Mary's I headed up for
THE KIDSTHE KIDSTHE KIDS

Checking out Henry Street action
a read when Pat told me that Theresa had arrived with the news that Mary's cousin Ann had been found dead. Details are still scarce but of course this news will affect our plans a bit. The family gathered at Mick and Mary's to offer comfort and support.



Having heard that Pat was interested in learning more about her Grandfather, Dominick phoned a fellow in Mountrath and we will be heading over to chat with him. Caroline, Dom and Theresa's daughter, works in the registrars office and she will try to get a copy of Mommy's birth certificate. In the 1901 Irish census, Dominick and Theresa located Francis, his second wife Julia and Mary, aged 5. She would have been Pat and Joe's mom. The interesting thing is that they spelled their name Dohan, not Dohney as Mommy did. Good sleuthing. These are wonderful people. Have I mentioned that?



Mary cooked a lovely salmon with garlic mashed and we feasted again. Watched the bizarre car chase at Capital Hill on the news and, on that note, I went to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb