Bru na Boinne


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Meath » Newgrange
May 3rd 2023
Published: May 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Remember, you'll probably have to scroll down to see more photos.



Bru na Boinne is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that preserves one of the most archaeologically significant prehistoric landscapes in the world. In addition to megalithic art, Bru na Boinne includes a number of Neolithic burial chambers. There was a Visitor Center then a good bit of a walk then a shuttle bus to one of the tombs. It's over 5,000 years old, perfectly catches the sunrise on the winter solstice, and is constructed from rock (some very large) and quartz from the surrounding hundreds of miles, an organized project for Stone Age people.

This was the last full day with our Road Scholar tour. From Bru na Boinne, we drove towards Dublin for our last dinner at a hotel near the airport. After dinner, we were treated to some traditional music and dancing. We'll be on our own after breakfast tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Neolithic carvingsNeolithic carvings
Neolithic carvings

The metal sheet above the large rock is, obviously, a later addition. A lot of the dome had slid down; when it was reconstructed, these base stones and their carvings were uncovered.
Source of the stonesSource of the stones
Source of the stones

Is the mountains in the distance
Rape grassRape grass
Rape grass

The color is so striking!
Other sideOther side
Other side

The grounds surrounding the tomb include remnants of later groups living in the area. Around 2000 BC, the Beaker people constructed a large double circle of wooden posts within which portions of animals were cremated and buried in pits (The Pit Circle). There is also a Stone Circle, partially built on top of the Pit Circle.
Just across the roadJust across the road
Just across the road

the sheep were making quite a racket!
The BoinneThe Boinne
The Boinne

quite the Irish pastoral scene!
Evening entertainmentEvening entertainment
Evening entertainment

These outfits are very different from what we expected! The dances were traditional though (those are wigs/hair pieces most of them are wearing).


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb