Ireland 2008


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Limerick » Limerick
August 3rd 2008
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kendall and her new friend.Kendall and her new friend.Kendall and her new friend.

Kendall has latched on to Kelsey for some reason. She claims that "She is nice to me"...I guess the rest of us are not.
The training schedule is getting in the way of sight-seeing 😉

Yesterday, Taelyr had a team meeting at 11AM and then training from 3-6PM. Kendall and I went swimming.

Went to the pub last night for some "Irish music", but they close up pretty early around here.

Training today is from 3-7PM so we got up a bit earlier and went to see The King John Castle right here in Limerick, then we walked to St. Mary's Cathedral.

The Cathedral was built in 1168 and is the oldest structure in the UK that is still used for it's original purpose. It is an awe inspiring building, I think mostly because it's still all intact. There was a service going on at the time we were there and the bells were ringing and everything. The castles are awesome, but even-though they are partially restored, most of them are what you would refer to as 'ruins', so it leaves alot more to your imagination.

The King John Castle was built between 1200 and 1210, at a cost of 733 pounds.

It was a bit of a nicer day today, with only a little bit of rain. Right
PosterPosterPoster

These are posted all over the city.
now there is this big, very bright, orange sphere in the sky...not sure what that is all about.

Taelyr is outside in the courtyard with her coach for a special session. I guess she had a bad day today 😞

Not much on the agenda for the next couple of days as they are gearing up for the competition on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

Friday we are planing on going south to Tipperary (not far from here 😉) to see Cahir Castle (one of the largest castles in Ireland), and The Mitchelstown Caves. Saturday to Cork to see the Blarney Castle, then across to Waterford. That's the plan anyways.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

At the pubAt the pub
At the pub

dancing
at the pubat the pub
at the pub

I think they were doing the "macarena'...not very Irish if you ask me.
At the PubAt the Pub
At the Pub

I was NOT doing the Macarena
King John castleKing John castle
King John castle

One of the towers
King John CastleKing John Castle
King John Castle

Clearly they didn't have building codes in the 13th Century.
King John CastleKing John Castle
King John Castle

The minting room
King John CastleKing John Castle
King John Castle

Some of our group.
King John CastleKing John Castle
King John Castle

The King himself. Apparently he was not very popular.
King John CastleKing John Castle
King John Castle

These canons would have been added much later.
St. Mary'sSt. Mary's
St. Mary's

Built in 1168. Wow.
St.MarySt.Mary
St.Mary

Main entry, not used anymore except for some ceremonial reasons (ie. the welcoming of a new Bishop). Because we chose to go there on a Sunday, we were not able to go inside as the "Devine Service" was in progress.


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb